SAU Community

VZ Maloo or VZ SS + Supercharger

Short Story:

Sold skyline, people told me I would regret it

Regretted it

Bought 4wd

Miss fast car

Long story:

I miss having a quick car for the street. My 260rwkw R33 had the perfect amount of power, and I never really got tired of how quick it was. Handling is important to me and I've done a few track days, but power is definitely placed higher in my criteria. 

The problem with my skyline was a) they're old and getting harder to find parts for, and b) theft is out of control in VIC so I couldn't really drive it anywhere and leave it without paranoia kicking in. 

I'm looking at getting a V8 ute now, probably a 6L L76 VZ SS or a VZ Maloo. I'd look at something like an F6 Tornado too, if it wasn't for that live axle rear end. 

Has anyone got firsthand experience with these? I've never driven one, so I'm not sure what to expect apart from more boat-like handling, which is okay. I'd be getting a manual in either case, and if I got the SS instead of the Maloo, could probably splurge on a supercharger to waken it up a bit. 

I'm sorry to say but this whole JDM wank-fest which has come about over the last few years has made so many once bargain performance cars unobtainable, or a terrible rip off, so getting back in a Nissan is probably off the table for now.

Cheers

Edited by colourclassic
  • Like 1

Personally I'd take the xr6t/f6 over any Holden v8, they handle better and are a lot nicer to drive even with the live axel.

If you have to have the vz v8 then the maloo is your only real option as no one makes a super charger kit for the L76

• Like 1

Hi, I just come out of a V8 and got back into a skyline. I had an E1 Clubsport with a supercharged LS3 making 400rwkw. Can I just say, didnt come close to my GTR in terms of driver satisfaction and enjoyment. I have driven an F6 also, but never owned one but I would say go the F6, (nothing like that turbo rush).
Do you intend to track the car at all?
The Holden/HSV L series motors are terrible for heatsoke, you would be spending any money you had after purchase temperature control.
Don't get me wrong, they are a great car but it's not going to give you the same satisfaction your skyline did.
If you want a great street cruiser, go the Holden/HSV.
If you want something closer to your skyline go the F6. The Barra motor is a lot of fun on boost but it won't handle anywhere near as good as the skyline.
Good luck

• Like 1

13 hours ago, r32-25t said:

Personally I'd take the xr6t/f6 over any Holden v8, they handle better and are a lot nicer to drive even with the live axel.

If you have to have the vz v8 then the maloo is your only real option as no one makes a super charger kit for the L76

Really? Everything I've read/heard has said that the IRS Holden handles better or at least feels more balanced front to rear than the Ford. I guess I'll have to try to drive both. 

8 hours ago, Old man 32 GTR said:

Hi, I just come out of a V8 and got back into a skyline. I had an E1 Clubsport with a supercharged LS3 making 400rwkw. Can I just say, didnt come close to my GTR in terms of driver satisfaction and enjoyment. I have driven an F6 also, but never owned one but I would say go the F6, (nothing like that turbo rush).
Do you intend to track the car at all?
The Holden/HSV L series motors are terrible for heatsoke, you would be spending any money you had after purchase temperature control.
Don't get me wrong, they are a great car but it's not going to give you the same satisfaction your skyline did.
If you want a great street cruiser, go the Holden/HSV.
If you want something closer to your skyline go the F6. The Barra motor is a lot of fun on boost but it won't handle anywhere near as good as the skyline.
Good luck

Cheers, that helps. I really prefer the looks and interior of the Holden, but the power delivery of a turbo 6 is probably what I miss the most. I need a Maloo with a Barra swap, that would be the dream.

1 hour ago, colourclassic said:

Really? Everything I've read/heard has said that the IRS Holden handles better or at least feels more balanced front to rear than the Ford. I guess I'll have to try to drive both. 

Only 6 months ago I was looking at ve ssv utes for a new daily "because I wanted something different", I drove about 6 or so  and then I took an fg xr6t for a drive and bought it! Couldn't understand why I had even been looking at the commodore