SAU Community

Rb25det top end noise after new headgasket

Rb25det top end noise after new headgasket

Hi everyone I need some help 

I have a Gq patrol with a rb25det 

I have just changed my head gasket as my old one blew n was overheating ,     

So I replaced my head headgasket , new alloy radiator, and new 450hp turbo with 3"dump and stainless exhaust 

On start up after putting it all back together it has a bad tap in my top end sounds like a tappet noise but doesn't go away I let warm.up but still there and doesn't doesn't wanna rev properly either now I set base timing tic, then to its mark and set intake and exhaust cams to there mark also

If anyone has ideas that would help heaps thanks in advance ,,,,,,,,

Probably unrelated, but we built an RB25/30 recently. Put it all back in the car (R33 Skyline), and have also had a tapping noise, seemingly from the top end.

Today teh alternator died, and we replaced with another used one. Started the engine & the "lifter" noise was compeltely gone. Did several track sessions & it hasn't come back. Glad we didn't pull the rocker covers - everyone who heard it was convinced it was a lifter. Ours was revving fine though.

Try a compression test. Do you know why the headgasket let go? Try pulling the coil leads one at  a time to see if you can isolate the noise to one cylinder or use a big screwdriver or stethoscope to see if you can trace the noise. Got a boost leak somewhere?

ah cool cheers manged 2 make it some what go away timing jumped a tooth , tenison was gone so put a new one n re set , its still there but not fully gone away i took it for a drive in it has a lot of power still doesnt struggle to to hit 14psi now so alolifters art better but not fully gone ,,,,,, i got told the lifters are common to go