SAU Community

RB25 neo, precision 62/66 compatibility

Goal = 400rwkw

I've got a fairly stock R34 GTT about to start modifying it to eventually reach my goal of 400kw. I've been looking into the precision 62/66 turbo as an option, sorta bias towards that option due to my mate having one spare I can get cheapish.

It ticks most of the boxes for the things I want in a turbo, only thing bothering me is that it is GEN 1. Is it worth saving for a GEN 2 62/66?

And it has a rear A/R of 0.68. will this be to small in a negative way? I think that a smaller A/R will give better low down tourq ect. Which is what I want, just doubting myself cause I see alot of recommendations for the 0.8ish size on similar size turbos like the gt3582.

Cheers!!

You'd want the CEA (ball bearing) version, and if you've got the budget to build a 400+kW Skyline then you won't shy at the cost of going with a split pulse/twin gate setup that's well designed (ie not a dodgy cheap China manifold and piping).

A 0.6x turbine housing would completely defeat the purpose of this size turbo, just choke the thing and frustrate you. I'd expect a decent setup on Neo 25 to perform best across 4500-8000rpm

An excellent alternative complete HTA3076 setup complete bolt-on capable of nearly 400kW is currently up for sale by 34GeeTeeTee. Well worth a look.

51 minutes ago, Dale FZ1 said:

You'd want the CEA (ball bearing) version, and if you've got the budget to build a 400+kW Skyline then you won't shy at the cost of going with a split pulse/twin gate setup that's well designed (ie not a dodgy cheap China manifold and piping).

A 0.6x turbine housing would completely defeat the purpose of this size turbo, just choke the thing and frustrate you. I'd expect a decent setup on Neo 25 to perform best across 4500-8000rpm

An excellent alternative complete HTA3076 setup complete bolt-on capable of nearly 400kW is currently up for sale by 34GeeTeeTee. Well worth a look.

Im hoping for a turbo that has the potential to get to 400+kw but has decent response due to the car being driven on the street 90% of the time. From what i understand the 62/66 has the potential to exceed 400kw, but with the smaller A/R it will reduce the max hp output but increase the response. due to the turbo having the high hp potential (more than my goal) i can afford to loose some max hp and gain some response whilst still suiting my goals?

This is just how i understand it, please correct me if im wrong, still learning haha.

11 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Given that it's the wrong turbo, you'd better look at the various other turbo threads, especially the Borg Warner thread.

What do you mean by the wrong turbo?

cheers ill have a look at them threads!

Big flowing compressor needs to be matched with a turbine capable of flow.  Otherwise the engine effectively has a cork up its arse and can't breathe out.  So it won't get near 400kW, and streetable response isn't there.  Better achieved by using a different setup.

https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/426059-forced-performance-hta-turbos/?page=47

Edited by Dale FZ1

I have the Gen 2 6266 BB with a .82 rear housing... setup is not completely refined yet but its making ~20-21psi around 4700rpm, currently making 620hp on 23psi on a dynapack hubber..  forged 25 non neo with camtech cams and performance springs, the .68 rear will become a restriction as stated

Dyno sheet is in the rb25 thread

If you're on some what of a budget, don't discount @hypergear turbos. Their 45SAT will get you over 400kW and be decent enough to drive around town. I would recommend you go for the ball bearing version.

I've been believer of Hypergear Turbos since I started using them. I'm now on my 3rd Hypergear turbo (of course bigger each time) . 

6 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

If you're on some what of a budget, don't discount @hypergear turbos. Their 45SAT will get you over 400kW and be decent enough to drive around town. I would recommend you go for the ball bearing version.

I've been believer of Hypergear Turbos since I started using them. I'm now on my 3rd Hypergear turbo (of course bigger each time) . 

Yep you could always get the ss version of the atr45sat aswell

Think that comp wheel flows around the mid 400 mark