SAU Community

Big fuel pump choice with e85

Big fuel pump choice with e85

Hi guys,

Basically I wanted to get some opinions about what fuel pump setup people are running for big power with e85, and namely what big single pumps people might be running. Basically 044 pumps, from what I have found, eventually sh1t the bed. Adding e85 additive helps, but only prolongs the inevitable I believe.

Basically had fuel pressure nose diving yesterday on the dyno, and I am fairly sure the 044's I have are not happy. One was actually seized at one point until it was tapped with a spanner, then came good again. I don't want to have to hit fuel pumps with spanners to get them going again, when they are feeding a motor with almost 20K into it.

I currently have 2x 044 feeding into a dash 10 line moving forward from boot/surge to engine bay, pumps would be almost 4 years old now I suppose.

I looked at the new Proflow FS11380, which is like an 044 alternative and seems to have a bit more flow (have to figure out the trickery again with @ XYZ bar, so might actually just flow the same as an 044 at 72psi), and again, on one website I read may decrease pump life if used with exotic fuels ie e85.

So I am looking a single 2345-A weldon pump:

http://www.weldonracing.com/store/2345-A-p56104058

Main reasons are:

1. Will modify reasonably OK into my existing surge setup, just need a dash 12 feed welded onto existing tank

2. Won't grenade the motor if I lose the pump, as oppose to losing 1 pump on a twin 044 setup

3. All race fuels compatible from what I read

4. Can be rebuilt

So before I shell out $1500+ to get this over from the states, what are other people doing in this space?

I'm keen to know.

Cheers.

What power are you doing with the walbros donut_kng?

Yep absolutely agree that fail safe can be setup for drop in pressure, which ill likely being doing with the link anyway regardless of which way I go. I have found totally conflicting info on some pumps. For eg, I looked up the proflow 044 alternate pump today, and one site said yep 100% e85 safe, the other was like, will decrease pump life by running e85.

To be honest I think there is some trickery with words getting around for e85 compatibility, if your pump can run e85 initially and it only last 6 months, does that still classify it as e85 compatible?. For me as far as I am concerned the 044 pumps are not e85 safe, despite what people may say about them.

How have the walbros been in that respect donut_kng? I know those are rated as e85 safe.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
What power are you doing with the walbros donut_kng?
Yep absolutely agree that fail safe can be setup for drop in pressure, which ill likely being doing with the link anyway regardless of which way I go. I have found totally conflicting info on some pumps. For eg, I looked up the proflow 044 alternate pump today, and one site said yep 100% e85 safe, the other was like, will decrease pump life by running e85.
To be honest I think there is some trickery with words getting around for e85 compatibility, if your pump can run e85 initially and it only last 6 months, does that still classify it as e85 compatible?. For me as far as I am concerned the 044 pumps are not e85 safe, despite what people may say about them.
How have the walbros been in that respect donut_kng? I know those are rated as e85 safe.

I'm making 525rwkw with this and it has been doing that since 2013, without ever opening the surge tank, I'm probably due to check the socks hanging off the pumps etc

Regardless it's fair to say the walbros do the job just fine as I have never had an issue with it.

I definitely recommend a fuel pressure gauge, as I did have an issue with the hat on the fuel tank which restricted the return line and made the pressure jump to over 100psi.. had I not had the gauge to spot it straight away I'd hate to know what would have happened eventually

I think people have issues using the wrong type of hose which breaks down internally
  • Like 1