SAU Community

Wallbro fuel pump

Wallbro fuel pump

Hi all,

i am new to this forum, as i have learnt so many things from this page. I have an issue hoping to resolve through this page if possible. 

The thing is i have replaced my stock fuel pump to wallbro 250 high flow fuel pump. As mine stock pump was playing up and one day it ended not working so replaced to wallbro. My car is r33 s2 97 all stock.

Well, i called one of mine mechanic freiend to install it for me as i have no idea to install. 

As far as i know he just replaced the pump used the same wiring as the stock. 

And performances is fluctuating. 

When i fill the tank to the max the car lags the power and tend to go power cut and need to re start again and even if the fuel is about the quater  happens the same. 

If i take sharp turn to left or right power tries to cut off. Called my mechanic friend explain it to him he has no idea. 

I just bought it 3 months ago havent enjoyed it yet.

any idea regarding this issue. I know some brother will help this brother for sure...

First thing are you sure it's fuel pump that was issue if you are still having issues? Assuming it is, the fuel pump runs at 2 different voltages, a lower voltage and a higher voltage at full throttle. Does it still lag if full throttle? Possibly the lower voltage is to much for the new pump. If so you can hard wire bypass the voltage step, plenty advice on SAU if you Google. Also very importantly make sure you are not getting an engine light or anything when testing this, if there is a fuel supply issue you don't want knock or leaning out.

Normally the Walbro will work ok as a straight replacement. (It works better directly wired, but that's another story).

Because it is smaller than the stock pump it has to be properly secured in the cradle. The sock (filter) has to be properly attached, The stock wiring should be fine.

Run the petrol in your tank down to nearly empty and check out the pump for yourself. remove the fuel lines and wind off the retaining ring (it may be very tight) and have a look (a torch would be handy)..If it looks dodgy get your mechanic mate to come round and fix it.

• Like 1

Hi dear,

thanks for your reply

the thing we did before putting the wallbro

pulled the entire cradle and assembled.

changed the after market shockto standard as the standard one was longer than after market.

while puttng it back we placed accordingly the one it was before.

it was working fine for week or 2 and its getting worst. If i am over 50 on the street get my car to the puddle powercuts.. its weird..

You could check to see if the cradle is still where it is supposed to be. Of course the problem could be elsewhere. Have you changed the filter in the engine bay? Get a fuel pressure gauge and see if you are getting the correct pressure. Fuel Pressure Regulators rarely fail but its a possibility

Check the wiring at the pump - especially for a clean earth..

Is there any chance the vapour and fuel return hoses have been switched by mistake.  I had this happen on a previous car (  wasn't a skyline) and it would frequently end up in fuel pooling in the manifold and cutting out.

How did you go mate?

As others have said, check your hoses.

What I would do immediately, as someone who has just installed a Walbro pump myself, is rewire the pump. At the bare minimum, supply the pump with a new earth to the chassis. Otherwise you can go with a full relay set up, hwoever, with a stock car I don't think you need it.

I'm betting on incorrect installation. When I installed my Walbro I had to angle grind the brass bit off the bottom of the cradle and get a longer length of fuel hose. for the pump to sit in the correct spot. You should confirm your friend did something similar (at bare minimum ensuring the pump is placed lower so it sits correctly).

Hi dear,

thanks alot for your chance concern. I have called friend of mine to come and have a look. As i havenot been driving car since i faced that issue..

once everything is done i ll get back to u and thanks again