SAU Community

Which should I go with GTX2863, 2530, or 2860-5

Which should I go with GTX2863, 2530, or 2860-5

Before I have my r32 tuned on a haltech, I want to install new turbos. My goal is 600-650hp. Currently making 530hp on R34N1 turbos. Cant decide between gtx2863,2530 or 2860-5.

Current setup

530@19psi

2.8l (supposedly tomei stroker)

tomei cams

tomei manifolds

nismo intake manifold

700cc injectors

nismo fpr/pump

N1 oil pump and water pump

R34 N1 (AA403) turbos

hpi elbows 

mines frontpipe

Decat

HKS exhaust 

tomei ecu

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1794.PNG

I know it would be easier, though I already have a lot invested in a twin turbo setup. Tomei Manifolds, HPI elbows,Mines  downpipe and hks Intercooler piping. 

Edited by Trailmix

I would go GTX2860Rs, personally.  I suspect they are a bit underestimated and they should do your target power range with really good response.  

• Like 2

I'm making around 290 awkw on GT-SS. 

Putting in a set of newly rebuilt HKS 2510 with GTX2863 compressor wheels (not the whole CHRA) this week. I.E, they end up being a 2510 turbine, turbine housing, compressor housing with the GTX wheel.

Will report back in the Dyno thread by the end of the week if i wasted my money or not :-)

13 minutes ago, djvoodoo said:

I'm making around 290 awkw on GT-SS. 

Putting in a set of newly rebuilt HKS 2510 with GTX2863 compressor wheels (not the whole CHRA) this week. I.E, they end up being a 2510 turbine, turbine housing, compressor housing with the GTX wheel.

Will report back in the Dyno thread by the end of the week if i wasted my money or not :-)

What power are you shooting for with that setup? 

15 minutes ago, Piggaz said:

What power are you shooting for with that setup? 

Hoping for your generic -5 power on a standard unbuilt 26 with pump fuel. I.E 340 -350 awkw on around 22 psi. In theory i should have similar to -9 response with -5 power.

Depends on how healthy my motor is, and final tune..

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 8.34.24 PM.png

Edited by djvoodoo
upload pic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GT-R David said:

I think this is what almost everyone wants.
Im looking forward to see the results.

Too good to be true :-) Well, we should find out by Friday. I've read the whole GTX thread, and most people are using the 2863 CHRA with mixed results. This turbo is not the same, so a little unsure how they will react on my setup.

Motor health for me will determine how aggressive final tune can be. I've had a few dud tunes over the past 4 years so trying to be on the cautious side.

[quote I.E 340 -350 awkw on around 22 psi. In theory i should have similar to -9 response with -5 power.
I've got this [emoji16] but it's achieved through a 26/30 build with -5 turbos, amazing response and making 360awkw on 22psi.
And at roll racing the other night, wasn't much that could hold me through 2nd and third gear

This is the mystery engine that somehow made 395rwkw on N1s? 

I'm using a bigger set of turbos and E85 and only managed 380rwkw, which I thought was considered decent for -9s. That's with N1 manifolds, good intercooler, big dumps, big exhaust etc. 

The only way you're going to retain N1/-7/-9 like response and make a minimum 447rwkw/600rwhp is to go full twin scroll (twin gates) single and most likely e85 and bump up the capacity decently.

200cc of extra capacity is not going to change the lag considerably. 

What dyno did the car make the 530rwhp on? Or is that 530 calculated engine HP? 

You can reach 600 rw murican HP a lot easier than you can Australian HP. 

Our dynos seem to read very differently. 

If we ignore the numbers and just say you want to make 15-20% more power to the wheels at minimum (530 -> 600/650) and you can currently do 530 on N1s, any of those turbo combos will get you there, but the car will not be as responsive. 

You can look at putting better ramp rate/lift cams in as the Tomei are known for being a little soft, ramp especially. With cam gear adjustments you will "almost" match the response but with substantially more grunt up to. 

Otherwise, more cubes and full spec TS setup :)

Edited by ActionDan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trailmix said:

It was on a dynocom 5000FX, which is a AWD Dyno. Though all the pulls where made in RWD. You can see the engine HP/TQ at the bottom of the graph. 609hp /453tq

I think what most people here are trying to say is R34 N1 (or -7) turbo's do not flow enough to make 400rwkw, even with a 2.8l. They are a 500ps range turbo.

No matter the difference in dynos. My turbos are not that responsive low end like a -7 should be not seeing full boost until 5500 range. The gtx2860/2863 should spool up around the same, as my current setup? 

Edited by Trailmix

No idea because lots of what you say is contradictory? 

N1s basically ARE -7s so if they are magically not that responsive yet make 530rwhp, then maybe they are not N1s?

You will also LOSE response from having bigger cams, if you're not compensating with gear adjustments, timing changes etc. 

Post some dyno graphs with RPM and Boost. 

I think you need to work out what you actually have first.