SAU Community

New clutch for my R33 Gtst

New clutch for my R33 Gtst

Hey guys

I am planning to get a new clutch and replace the release bearing and stuff in the winter. 

Since I dont know much about that topic I asked my mate, who obviously will do the major part in this "project" ^^, what would be a good exchange regarding price and not getting those stuttering starts you get with "racing" clutches like exedy stuff and so on. At least thats what people say ^^

So I was thinking about a simple "competition clutch" - what would you guys say? What would be the difference between the normal version and the next one "stage 2"?

Share some light please^^

Thanks and regards from germany

Edited by HCD_Velcra

400hp/300kw at the wheels can be used by some decent single plate clutches however. Could save money and they are pretty simple to drive.

NPC is another option if you don't want a twinplate clutch. The nismo single plate clutch is also rated to just above 300KW atw (just over 400hp) but keep in mind 400whp is about as far as any of the good single plate clutches go before they become undrivable pieces of junk.

Twinplate Coppermix is technically overkill, but I bought one anyway after driving a bunch of people's clutches and figured the extra is worth it for a better shift given you perform that action 100 times in a 10 minute drive.

I bought an act 6 Puck with sprung centre and extreme pressure plate. Very happy with it. Drives nicely. Not as nice to drive as Stock but its definately Streetable and should hold lots of power/torque

On ‎02‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 1:17 AM, Kinkstaah said:

400hp/300kw at the wheels can be used by some decent single plate clutches however. Could save money and they are pretty simple to drive.

NPC is another option if you don't want a twinplate clutch. The nismo single plate clutch is also rated to just above 300KW atw (just over 400hp) but keep in mind 400whp is about as far as any of the good single plate clutches go before they become undrivable pieces of junk.

Twinplate Coppermix is technically overkill, but I bought one anyway after driving a bunch of people's clutches and figured the extra is worth it for a better shift given you perform that action 100 times in a 10 minute drive.

Thanks for that answer Greg.

Gtsboy got me wrong here; this is not a "My car is so god damn fast like no other here and I need a descent clutch" thread - I just want to get some basic Infos since I got no clue about that topic :)
My basic question was, is there reall such a big difference between a normal and a stage 2 clutch which costs 100 bucks more.

I only want a good replacement for the stock stuff but I dont wanna throw the money out just for a name like Nismo. A normal clutch that will last some time and dont gets me a hard start at every stop or traffic light ^^

6 hours ago, HCD_Velcra said:

Thanks for that answer Greg.

Gtsboy got me wrong here; this is not a "My car is so god damn fast like no other here and I need a descent clutch" thread - I just want to get some basic Infos since I got no clue about that topic
My basic question was, is there reall such a big difference between a normal and a stage 2 clutch which costs 100 bucks more.

I only want a good replacement for the stock stuff but I dont wanna throw the money out just for a name like Nismo. A normal clutch that will last some time and dont gets me a hard start at every stop or traffic light ^^

No, I didn't get you wrong.  You perhaps interpreted my "like every other clutch thread on here" as sarcasm.  Well it was, but only because there are millions of threads on here asking what the best clutch is at various power levels.  You're intended power level is right at the point where you need a strong clutch and it either has to be a very very strong single, or take the extra jump to a twin plate.  The general consensus of approximately 3x10^19 such threads on here is that the Nismo coppermix twin is a brilliant clutch to drive and amply capable of handling the torque you intend to put through it.

As various others above have said, there is no such thing as a "Stage 2" clutch.  There might be on Playstation games, but not in the real world.  There is a damn near continuous spectrum of autism clutches from stock to NASA spec.  Some of them are barely better than stock but a complete prick to use.  Others are stupidly good and you wouldn't know they were there.   Guess which one we're recommending to you.

And you won't be talking about "100 bucks more".  Lift your sights and your budget.  Another statement that gets posted on here frequently is something along the lines of "a poor man pays twice".  The first time because he cheaped out and bought the wrong thing.  The second time to correct it.

• Like 1

And you still got me wrong. In every point.

And just to make it clear: that stage 2 topic was a point called from a manufacturer itself, not from me. 
Like said, thanks to Greg.