SAU Community

r33 gtst rear drag setup suspension

r33 gtst rear drag setup suspension

Hey guys just need some advice, have gone to heasmans to look at getting a proper rear suspension setup for my r33.

They have suggested a bilstein adjustable coilover, for drag and street use.

Im confused however, they mentioned the rears would have a rating of about 8kg, I was under the assumption based off other threads I would be moreso looking for  alower kg rating such as 4kg? I have limited knowledge about rear coilover suspension hence going to heasmans.

Just wanted some clarification before spending the money, Cheers

That's a tough one.  It's not really possible to 2nd guess what their intentions are with that one part of the overall recommendation.  Having said that, I would agree with you that 8kg at the rear sounds more circuit spec than drag spec.  I would also wonder whether it is a good idea to use the standard valving on (assuming) B6s because they're probably not going to be happiest at those sorts of spring rates.  I might be wrong about that, but it does make for an interesting question to put to Heasmans.

Obviously you know you're looking to get some weight transfer on launch, hence the query regarding the 4-8kg range.  I have something like 5kg springs on the rear of my R32 with B6s and it's pretty immune to squatting on launch.  I realise that part of that is the R32 geometry, which is different to the R33, but nevertheless, it's pretty firm on launch.  Will break traction easily enough.

Ill have to ask the question tomorrow when I call to confirm. It just doesnt seem completely right to me as you suggested. 8kg or so seems too high for rears...

I'll see what they say and comment back here

I would get something like 3~4kg, raise the car so the lower control arms are pointing nearly downwards or at the very least flat, followed by:

• new subframe bushes
  • HICAS eliminator kit (not the lock car, the one that removes all the ball joints)
  • GKTech camber delete kit
  • Camber arms
  • Traction rods (extend them by 5mm, it will make a difference)

I've realised the shop that was mentioned aren't that knowledgable about suspension geometry or intended usage. A friend of mine that owns that S15 I often I drive at the track and tune took his car to said shop to get an alignment for the track. He asked them to adjust his traction rods and the guy was like I would just leave them at the stock position also he didn't know what they did. Then followed by the fact the recommended zero toe at the rear for a Nissan that's used for the track, we all know that Nissans suffer massive toe and camber ramp when there's any form of squatting involved.

Really odd experience - must have been a noob working on the day.

You really want that instant weight transfer and 'squatting' of the rear end, ideally OEM height, soft-ish springs, all new bushes would be ideal. If you want to step it up a game, get some drop spindles or knuckles as they're called.

If you look at fast street drag cars, they're never slammed on their tits neither are the rear springs very stiff either.

• Like 2

I didnt end up going through with it, as you mentioned mate just didnt seem or feel right.

As you have suggested I do indeed have the following:

-Hardrace traction rods

-Hardtrace camber arms

-Hicas eliminator kit (ball joints removed) - installed by greaser :)

-hsd track orientated coilovers

Ill look into the camber delete kit and subframe bushes mate. Car is hooking up nicely on 275/50 MT ET R's. Just would like some nice squat + my left rear coilover is almost cooked

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...