SAU Community

Switching over from Toyota's 1G-GTE to Nissan's RB26!

EvadeTheBook

Switching over from Toyota's 1G-GTE to Nissan's RB26!

Hello All,

I'm living in Japan for the second time of my life, the first was about ten years ago.  I had slow and very heavy Toyota Supra (Mark III) with the 1G-GTE and was sliding all over the place when heading back down the local mountains, but it was a cheap car and it was fun... despite it's short comings.  Now I'm back 10 years later with a much better salary and dropped the money on a 1995 R33 GTR (63,000 KM) and couldn't be happier.  I'm currently examining the car from front to back and taking care of any reliability issues.  Wouldn't you know it a month after owning it one of the MAFs went out, so that's my current project.  Anyway, I've received a ton of useful information from this forum.... so I figured I would quit lurking and join up.

-Nate

Edited by EvadeTheBook
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply Ravi, I have seen a couple of topics about re-soldering the Joints inside the MAF.  I have never soldered anything before and was contemplating buying a Cheap gun.  I know that AIP sells a replacement with Platinum tread connections.  I might buy those and hopefully never have to worry about it again... thoughts?

Soldering is quite easy, just need to make sure you don't overheat the electronic components. 

I'm not familiar with said platinum replacement but if it seems to work then I'd guess to go for it.

The 80's electronics in the AFM aren't that tiny, so you should be fine. Or, grab a small breadboard + components practice. It's quite easy once you get a few hours under your belt.

Haven't heard of this AIP replacement, so can't comment.