SAU Community

New to SAU and New to turbo

specbody

New to SAU and New to turbo

Hey everyone,

I have owned my R32 for 5 months and only truly had it running well for a few weeks. Its a RB20 with RB25 turbo. 

Also this is my first turbo engine I've ever owned and worked on. So far I've learned a lot. First week the turbo started to whistle. After removing the turbo I found the fins broke.

Next week the ignition control module gave out and I went and did the z32 conversion also took the opportunity to change the ignition coils, plugs and pigtails

This time the turbo went out again. I heard it something broke and lost all boost. The shaft itself broke clean. I have read that these ceramic breaks and its common. But I am wondering if the shaft breaking is common as well. Right before it broke, there was no heavy boosting. I was pushing about 5psi every shift just letting it whistle...

Next turbo going in is the HKS GARRETT GT2530. I would like to make sure that the shaft breaking is a common problem or was it because of lack of oil. When I removed the oil bolt on the turbo the fluid looked consistent. Nothing alarming to where it looked dry.

Any tips appreciated! I also attached a photo of the broken shaft.

turbo.JPG

I've blown a stock 21U in that exact fashion and found the oil feed to the turbo blocked, so that's a good thing to check. If you don't already have one, put a new braided line there to ensure it's clean and crank the car to make sure there's oil flowing.

While you're only running 5psi you have no idea how hard it might have been pushed in it's past life and it could have been waiting to happen, they are sadly not well known for their strength.. :(

I've also broken the shaft in a track car, and we are pretty sure it was from oil starvation. It might be worth talking to Tao at Hypergear in Melbourne about a rebuild & highflow of your turbo, as an option to a HKS.

2 hours ago, GeeDog said:

I've also broken the shaft in a track car, and we are pretty sure it was from oil starvation. It might be worth talking to Tao at Hypergear in Melbourne about a rebuild & highflow of your turbo, as an option to a HKS.

+1

A rebuild and high flow also comes with a braided oil feed as standard ;)