SAU Community

Anyone Used T&R Coilovers?

Anyone Used T&R Coilovers?

Hey bros and broettes.

Has anyone used T&R coilovers before? Seem to be a local distributor re-branding another imported coilover but I'm unsure? They seem reasonably priced at $1200 delivered.

If anyone has used them or has any feedback please do drop here, cheers.

https://www.facebook.com/TandRautostyling/

I've never heard of them so can't say if good or bad but for the price, they're not too much cheaper than an entry level MCA blue,  a few hundred bucks. I'd rather get those, as its a recognised company who definitely knows what they're doing when it comes to suspension. A lot of high end cars run mca, their own car (s13 silvia) is last years time attack winner. As they say, the proof is in the pudding. Im pretty sure the dose man can hook you up with pricing too. Also worth remembering the phrase, poor man pays twice. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Also worth remembering the phrase, poor man pays twice. 

Oh mate, if my entire build thread is anything to go by, I've learnt this lesson haha. I was questioning whether to even start this thread, but given I can't see anything but positive reviews even after speaking to an owner of these coils on Facebook, I had to ask :9_innocent:

1 minute ago, inmaniac said:

Oh mate, if my entire build thread is anything to go by, I've learnt this lesson haha. I was questioning whether to even start this thread, but given I can't see anything but positive reviews even after speaking to an owner of these coils on Facebook, I had to ask 

Just trying to keep you on the right track, lol. They may be ok but do you really want to be a guinea pig. Interested to see if anyone has used these or if they've just hit the market. My advice for MCA still stands.

I think the complete lack of any technical detail would be a give away. 30 way damper adjustment doesn't mean much and in that price bracket there's loads of options that are known quantities. As above, call Josh at MCA they have the runs on the board from all types of motorsport, have been in business for years and provide great customer service. When you flog them out after 5 years I'm sure MCA will rebuild them, old mate from Facepalm will just sell you another set.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't like a preferred route or anything, and I had all intention of avoiding if I didn't receive anything positive here.

Seems like MCA Blue's would be the way to go for a relatively budget option. I've looked into them and they seem to be the goods.

4 hours ago, inmaniac said:

Oh mate, if my entire build thread is anything to go by, I've learnt this lesson haha. I was questioning whether to even start this thread, but given I can't see anything but positive reviews even after speaking to an owner of these coils on Facebook, I had to ask :9_innocent:

Aren't they ghecko coils re branded?

Remember, most of those companies will refund money when you post positive reviews on websites, I delete quite a few off SAU alone...

You really need to talk to people who have bought brand new of each brand to get an accurate review. A few years of use will also sway a review.

If money permits and you're planning to track I would skip the MCA Blue and jump straight into the X range.

Problem with the blue range is that Josh and the team refuse to run stiffer springs on then due to the damper limitations so if you intend to track you'll end up with a suspension setup that is way too soft and pitch, roll all over the place. 

FWIW I am running 10/7 kg springs in my R33 shit box and that to me on Wakefield is boarder line too soft. Yes some will say correct it with anti-roll bars to stop the roll etc. But what you end up with is a car that's extremely snappy as there is lack of lean and naturally the inner turning wheel will try and move the same way the outer wheel is.

Street car = MCA Blue
Track work = what Dosé said

My direct experience: a mate got Blues for his Evo8. I think he's running 10kg front springs (might be 8kg), can't remember the rear rate. Amazingly compliant on shitty roads (running 40 series RS3 tyres). That's when I knew MCA would be my go-to when I have enough cash.

Thanks for the extra info and advice guys.

I reckon I'll track it 4-5 times a year tops. With that in mind would Blues do or should I ensure I go straight to the X range?

It's my daily, and I travel along Parramatta Rd regularly, so although I want performance I do need a middle ground. Blues sounds good?

1 hour ago, inmaniac said:

Thanks for the extra info and advice guys.

I reckon I'll track it 4-5 times a year tops. With that in mind would Blues do or should I ensure I go straight to the X range?

It's my daily, and I travel along Parramatta Rd regularly, so although I want performance I do need a middle ground. Blues sounds good?

Possibly best to call MCA direct and ask the question directly and see what they say.

If money permits and you're planning to track I would skip the MCA Blue and jump straight into the X range.
Problem with the blue range is that Josh and the team refuse to run stiffer springs on then due to the damper limitations so if you intend to track you'll end up with a suspension setup that is way too soft and pitch, roll all over the place. 
FWIW I am running 10/7 kg springs in my R33 shit box and that to me on Wakefield is boarder line too soft. Yes some will say correct it with anti-roll bars to stop the roll etc. But what you end up with is a car that's extremely snappy as there is lack of lean and naturally the inner turning wheel will try and move the same way the outer wheel is.

That's odd, they actually recommend that I go with 14kg front and 8kg rear for my application with the blues.

I've also had them in my car for a year and love them, the car handles like it's on rails and the grip is awesome. I also have Cusco camber arms and hardrace everywhere else which probably also helps.

Regardless, my experience with MCA has been great even when I had a slight issue with them and had to send them back (I had the first batch of blues for R33s) they were very responsive and helpful.

Interesting back several years ago they were not recommending very high spring rates for the Blues so things must have changed.

I was probably one of the very first to get the X-R becauae Josh didn't even have proper boxes made so mine came in cut up old cardboard boxes LOL!

Nevertheless for the money they are excellent even when compared against other coilovers at 1.5x the cost.

Part of me wishes I just went straight to the Reds.

Interesting back several years ago they were not recommending very high spring rates for the Blues so things must have changed.

I was probably one of the very first to get the X-R becauae Josh didn't even have proper boxes made so mine came in cut up old cardboard boxes LOL!

Nevertheless for the money they are excellent even when compared against other coilovers at 1.5x the cost.

Part of me wishes I just went straight to the Reds.

Likewise haha, the boxes mine came in were a Frankenstein of random boxes. when I got my blues, I was asked what I was going to do with the car and they recommended spring rates based off what I was using it for.

They actually recommend 14kg up front and 8kg at the back. I thought it would be slightly too hard, so I decided on 12kg up front and 7kg at the back.

After many spirited driving sessions I regretted not going the 14kg and 8kg so I bought the set they recommended for extra ($100 per pair). Loving them since, bit stiff for the road but perfect for the track and mountains.

Edit:- I wish I wasn't broke at the time and went for the reds also, given how good the blues are for the price I could only imagine how good the reds are...