SAU Community

deciding between 200sx or R33 GTS-T or Integra Type R - for roll racing

Rafal

deciding between 200sx or R33 GTS-T or Integra Type R - for roll racing

Hi,

I drive a 2005 STI that costs about $26,000 which only delivers about 195kw at the wheels, to me i find that its expensive for what it delivers in roll racing. I am thinking to sell it and buy a cheaper car that will be just as fast in roll racing. I want to spend about $15,000 max on a car, I basically want the best bang for my buck that will be good in roll racing. There is so many cars to choose from and i dont know how they perform on the street which is faster in a straight line (not off the line) i can find out numbers on the internet but on the street its a different story when they are raced because weight, power and so many factors need to be considered. So i need advice from people who have street knowledge.

The cars im looking for must have steering wheel airbag and they must be legal from factory and not major defects that need engineering certificate etc.. give and take..

cars i have in mind at the moment:

- 2001 Honda integra DC2R basic mods costs about $13,000 someone said it beats 200sx and skylines (not sure if this is true)

- Honda EP3 not sure how fast they are with basic mods cost about $15,000

- 200SX S14 or S15 not sure how fast they are with basic mods, cost around $15,000

- Skyline R33 GTS-T series 2 cost around $10,000 for a clean one, but i find that they are slow when stock and if i spend about 5k for mods which pushes it to about 230kw atw, BUT i dont know if it will be quicker than the other cars

by the way im not going to race it at roll racing but you get the idea what i want the car for. Thanks heaps!

If i was only planning on launching and going in a straight line, best bang for buck would be a V8 commodore or Falcon (or XR6t) or similar for <$1k and throw a supercharger on it!

The cars you've listed would be more suited for circuit, Honda's are slow but high revving n/a's, no good for launching, 200sx and skylines also suit circuit or drifting better than roll racing /drags unless you're putting in stupid money. 5K may get you some power in a skyline but you won't have any traction.

Yeah best bet will be a cheap r33 s2 $7-8000 with basic mods exhaust and cooler then spend the other $7000 on mods
$800 hypergear hiflow turbo
$2000 ecu and tune
$250 walbro 460lph
$600 1000cc injectors
$1000 labour to fit parts
So should have change to sp with a $15000 budget and should net close to 300rwkw on e85 which would smash all those other cars in near standard form and should net 12s all day

Where as if you buy a s15 200sx or ep3 theres your $15000 budget gone alone buying the car you may get a s14 for $10000

Thanks guys for this help i really need it! 

GTofuS-T nah i mentioned that i don't want it for launching. What do you mean by <1k . Do you mean a rolling shell for $1,000 then put in a supercharger? I don't know much about engeneering certificate, would it be a hassle to get that? I'm kind of a newbie into these things and i can't be bothered getting a engeneering certificate as I've heard from people it takes a very long time and it's a hassle, I'll be using the car for street so i don't think a supercharger is a good idea. Also i don't think the gearbox, engine, supercharger and all the other stuff i need to do to the car plus labour will be under 15k. That's why i think the R33 gtst is the good option you think? 

I don't think modding the rb25det will be spending stupid money because its a good engine. I guess the R33 can get traction if you put the right setup like tires etc.. that would be the same for the xr6t so why are you saying the R33 will have that problem? I don't get what your saying sorry, correct me if I'm wrong please because I'm still learning.

WantGTR I'm not sure if you read my post but i mentioned my sti costs about 25k, but if i buy a R33 for 7k and modd it for 8k = 300rwkw it will be faster than the sti and is about 10k cheaper (15k)

QUESTIONS:

- would i be saving money a lot if i start by buy a R33 rolling shell then build the car with used parts to about $15,000 getting 300rwkw. Or will i be saving money if i just buy a used working R33 for about 7k, 8k for modds = 300rwkw? Advantages and disadvantages? 

- also i am thinking to buy a already modded R33 because it will have heaps of modds already in it that will sell for a cheaper price than what it actually costed them to build it? And if the engine blows at least i got the other parts i need already when the new engine gets put in?

Thanks for all your posts each and every one i appreciate it!

Buying a rolling shell wouldnt be wise
Cause you will have the headache of sourcing all the parts to get it rolling again as more than just the engine will missing
You might be lucky and find a already modded r33 for $10-12000 but then again it might be already thrashed not just the engine as the driveline will also take a beating with that extra power

You will better off finding one in good cond with just basic mods like exhaust and cooler
Then you can build it to your liking and know it hasnt been thrashed

So i am thinking between the R33 GTS-T and the XR6T

I heard the R33 to get it to 300rwkw it needs bigger Turbo etc.. But it also new clutch, another diff, coil pack and  many other mods and also it needs another bottom end to handle that much power. Someone said he built 2 300rwkw r33 and both cars blew within about 18 months of driving it. 

This seems to be very unreliable rb25det with that much power and also it needs more than just stage 2 mods to make it reliable which i didn't think it needed it.

On the other hand people say the XR6T will easily go 300rwkw without having to push the engine so much and its much more cheaper to get it up there and will be much more reliable in the long run for anything to happen.

So is this true? 

Is there anyone here that has built these cars from experience?

What mods and parts i need to make a reliable 300rwkw R33? I think about over 15K

I'd go the Falcon:
Stage 4 turbo
Sports computer
Stage 3 engine
Stage 3 weight reduction
Racing modification

Also, sounds like that building wasn't building properly, or the cars weren't tuned properly. There are plenty of 300rwkW RB25's around here.

• Like 1

I have heaps of street knowledge but street knowledge comes at street prices...you prepared to pay that homie?

Roll racing is in my blood...my father was a baker and his father was a baker. My friend who also has a lot of street knowledge agrees the R33 is always faster, so you should go with that one. Do not forget to strengthen the welds on the intake or you'll be ripping apart the block in no time and replacing piston rings.

• Like 6

I personally believe your STI as is, some nice rubber around a circuit will be hell more fun and reliable than anything in Roll Racing, straight line is so boring, plus on the circuit you get to do that roll racing bit anyway, then hold it round turn 1 holding on for dear life but with the biggest smile you've ever had