SAU Community

Clutch recommendation for commuting/daily usuage

zloki

Clutch recommendation for commuting/daily usuage

Hey guys, I recently repurchased my old r32 GTR after selling it years ago, and I want to replace the current clutch with something less track orientated and that would be a lot more usuable for daily usuage. 

It currently has a ORC 559 twin plate clutch 550ps with only 3000kms on it, but since I haven't driven a car since selling this around 6+ years ago I'm struggling hard with it lol. 
Its currently tuned for 345kw which is a lot higher than when I previously owned it and I don't intend on taking it to the track for now. 

I understand I could simply learn to get used to the clutch, but I'm an old f**k now and want something easier to live with.

I'll probably look to sell the current clutch and does anyone have a good mechanic recommendation for the North Sydney/Chatswood area?

p.s. I was very surprised that my account on here was still active lol

Edited by zloki

Yeah I think the problem is the power output is too high for the nicest option which is a regular single plate clutch. you can get a single to hold that but only with a heavy pressure plate which will also affect day to day. 

Or turn the boost down and use a single :)

• Like 1

I'll probably turn down the power what are these nicer options and whats the max power for these?

Everyone appears to be recommending the nismo copper twinplate but are there more drivable options for lower power?

The singles people are referring to (from NPC, or even the nismo single) are about 300kw.

The Nismo twinplate is more expensive, but pretty much everyone says it's the best clutch ever for the 300-400kw region.

Being at 345kw you can see how you're in a bit of no-mans land in regards to easy single plate vs twinplate

After speaking to Kudos motorsports I've decided to go with an Exedy Heavy Duty single plate  Clutch Kit, which comes with a extra heavy duty cover. 
But I will be going back to an OEM flywheel as that best suits my planned usage which I'm currently trying to source. 

I will be detuning the car as well to a lower power output to suit. Pretty much what Duncan suggested. 

Appreciate the feedback lads, I will most likely be listing my current clutch and flywheel for sale and they are only 3000kms or so old. 

Edited by zloki

On 9/3/2017 at 11:17 AM, Scott Black said:

Talk to Scott at western clutch services at st Marys, I got a single plate for my 32 that is a touch more bitey than stock yet is coping over 400awkw without issue

Scott at Western Clutches knows his shit... recommend him to everyone... I would speak to him if I was you.

I called them first actually lol, didn't speak to scott but the recommendation was the Nismo coppermix twin

I've had some chats with some other people who are running the nismo coppermix single at the same power as my car is currently running. 
I've had a quote for $1350 delivered to AU for the single kit, at that price point it might be the way to go tbh.

Or.... NPC also do a twin plate that I'm told (and I know it means nothing unless its first hand experience) feels like a stock clutch

Looking at close to $2000 from memory however. but the local support is really good. They have been great whenever I have had to deal with them