SAU Community

New to Skylines, Need Assistance

On 10/09/2017 at 11:21 AM, inmaniac said:

If you CBF doing your research, just do this:

"Stage 1" - Basics

• Turbo-Back exhaust - If you don't have one already, you can get one custom made in mild steel or get one off the shelf for around $800-$1200 for something decent.
  • Intake - Debatable that you need this, a good panel filter will get you out of trouble, but if you're chasing power later replace your intake for a solid item. $250.
  • Intercooler - HDI is the cheapest you should go, even then you might want to consider better. $600.
  • Boost controller - A decent electronic unit. GFB G-Force II can be had for $300.

"Stage 2" - Can be done without ECU/Tune (not always best)

• Fuel Pump - Either go a Walbro 255 or 450 drop-in pump. I suggest the 450 to give you some room (I wish I did this ergh). Don't forget relay mod. $200-$250,
  • Turbo - Lots of choices, most suggest a Hypergear high flow for a drop-in replacement. That's around $1000. Or get their ATR replacement turbo for $1200. Keep boost < 10psi at this stage with these turbos.

"Stage 3" - ECU and Tune needed

• ECU - Nistune is a cost-effective solution. Get yourself an RB20DET Manual ECU, get yourself a Nistune board with feature pack, go get it tuned. Guessing $1000-$1200 all up.
  • Injectors - Nismo 740s are a good drop-in replacement, but most would suggest going a top-feed setup for cheaper parts and more choices. Both are $1000-$1200.
  • AFM - Get a genuine Z32 AFM. There are other choices but this is tried and true. $300ish.
  • Splitfires - Not always needed but generally recommended at this level. $500.

"Stage 3.5" - E85

• As part of "Stage 3" mods. get an ethanol flex sensor and tune everything for E85. $290 for sensor and harness.

If you did all of this it would cost you around $6-7k or $4-5k if you already have the basics and will net you 250rwkw on P98 or 300rwkw on E85. Nowhere was a throttle body mentioned (because you don't need one). This is a good list to go by, but keep in mind other things you may need along the way. A good example is a fuel pressure reg, that might be needed by Stage 3.

Do not attempt any of this unless your car is in tip-top shape and is well serviced.

Although not gospel. this list is proven time and time again. Follow it for proven results with less headache (and heartache) in the future.

In regards to the relay mod for the fuel pump, would this do?
https://www.amazon.com/WIRING-Walbro-1990-99-Eclipse-Talon/dp/B00S6YG966/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1508365956&sr=1-1&keywords=walbro+255+relay

• 5 weeks later...

Just letting you know I did nearly everything in the list :) 

On the way to the airport to get the new turbo the old turbo crapped out so we put the new turbo in.
My Z32 MAF arrived and I went to hook that up but fried the ECU - 3 hours later put in a tuned Nismo ECU.

The previous owner put wire around a fuse so it wouldnt blow which may have caused the old ECU to pop. The fuel pump is on its way and all thats left is the Splitfires and figuring out how to wire up the Z32 MAF.. I got a diagram but im so afraid after frying the ECU that I dont want to hook it up.

• 10 months later...

Its been a while now but here is the list of things ive done

1. Walbro 255 fuel pump

2. TD06 Turbo (about to be upgraded again)

3. Fuel Pressure Regulator

4. Air Intake Manifold

5. changed intercooler

6. Apexi FC

7. larger piping from downpipe

8. injectors i had were 740cc but were replaced with i think 440cc or 600cc (which has made my life hell)

9. apexi clutch

10. piping

put it on the dyno and hit 311 with stock MAF. I have a z32 maf but last time i wired it up it blew up the ecu so im a bit afraid to install it.

I have a new turbo and exhaust manifold ready to deploy. looking to push 450HP

Photo-2018-07-21-18-44-43_4538.JPG

Edited by AusFreak