SAU Community

Is anyone actually interested?

400 kw at the track is -5's. Minimum. Can't expect -7's/-9's or whatever to last at high 300's at the track. Shit will be glowing red, melting. Kinda have to "relax" everything considering the punishment. 
"Intune's" R33/RB30/-5's/e85 which was making 424 rwkw lasted 6 laps at Sandown, rear turbo popped. Pulled them off and it's was totally rooted.
My -5 setup lasted 2 trackdays (which they were turned down) and no more than 5000 road kms. Rear turbo was cactus.
A street car making "x" with everything wound up ain't going to last long hauling ass up mountain straight lap after lap.
Forget -9's buttplug's. If you want 400, you NEED -5's at a minimum.

Out of curiosity(and laziness as I dont want to hunt) what "pops" on the dash series?
E.g.,
Ex wheel falls off?
Rear housing cracks?
Bearing assembly?

14 minutes ago, luke gtr said:

Out of curiosity(and laziness as I dont want to hunt) what "pops" on the dash series?
E.g.,
Ex wheel falls off?
Rear housing cracks?
Bearing assembly?

Have seen rear housing cracked.

Both Nick and my -5 had shaft play through the roof. 10,000 km old and 5-7000 km old. Front was pretty good, rear's were rooted. The nug cages of the older - cores can't cop the abuse. (I believe the current ones you buy have the metal cages from the GTX series).

I suppose at the end of the day, especially with E85, guys are pushing harder and harder (I'm guilty of it also with the -5 setup) and it's just burning the candle at both ends. More, more, more!

9.5's/10 the rear will go first, it works harder.

Go back to 2005 and a baller result on -5's was 350. Now it's 450. 

As for rebuilding turbo's. How often do you rebuild them? 618's on a 2.6 would be woeful around something like Wakefield.

If it were my build and I had the parts you do. I'd get it running and doing laps on the 7s then you can dial the suspension tuning in and work down your times. If it's not enough power after the car is solidly sorted and reliably doing sessions, then look at more power.

Having a car that you trust to not drop it's guts all over the floor or be a handling nightmare every time you take it to a track day is far more valuable than showing up with 100kw more.

To finish first, you must first finish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, luke gtr said:

Option 3......

I still have my trust 618z's.
Have both the 10 and 8cm rear housings.
Honestly dont mind Bush bearing turbos.
Cheaper to rebuild too.....

I am still amazed at how brutal the power delivery these puppies did. 

It has been 15 months... 

If it were my build and I had the parts you do. I'd get it running and doing laps on the 7s then you can dial the suspension tuning in and work down your times. If it's not enough power after the car is solidly sorted and reliably doing sessions, then look at more power.

Having a car that you trust to not drop it's guts all over the floor or be a handling nightmare every time you take it to a track day is far more valuable than showing up with 100kw more.

To finish first, you must first finish.

Ah!
Very wise sensai.

Always need more, to avoid stock motor GTSt boats overtaking you down the main straight at Wakefield haha

If eastern creek is anuthing to go by, I'll catch them through the corners anyway.
#racenavara

Dunno if you remember this or not Luke but i spat my rear turbo exhaust wheel, when i was on the run in tune... Running almost no boost... Seriously it was like 4 psi when it went pop. 

Good way to Decat. Except this got stuck between my cat cells and the pipe, i think i had about 1cm of exhaust opening left in my cat. 

IMG_20140315_163019.thumb.jpg.578ede741240442aeeb859ab7f768b0a.jpg

Dunno if you remember this or not Luke but i spat my rear turbo exhaust wheel, when i was on the run in tune... Running almost no boost... Seriously it was like 4 psi when it went pop. 
Good way to Decat. Except this got stuck between my cat cells and the pipe, i think i had about 1cm of exhaust opening left in my cat. 
IMG_20140315_163019.thumb.jpg.578ede741240442aeeb859ab7f768b0a.jpg

Where's the "dislike" button? :(

On 9/26/2017 at 10:22 AM, Piggaz said:

It was a sign!

For a moment you only had one turbo!

Yeah but it wasn't any better than the twins.. In face it was worse. Your argument is invalid. 

• 2 weeks later...