SAU Community

M35 Starter motor

Equilibrise

M35 Starter motor

Hi all,

I thought I would recommend a repairer in Sydney after getting much more expensive repair quotes.

The starter motor died (complete failure) and wouldn't turn the engine over at all, even when tapped with a wrench. It wouldnt even make the ticking sound that they usually make when they die.

I was quoted between $120 and $200 for second hand starter motors from wreckers. New starter motors were upwards of $800 coming from overseas.

I decided to use the same repairer that I used for a previous m35 starter motor (different car). Both times cost $180. They use genuine parts for the hitachi unit and end up sounding and performing like brand new. The car now starts on first crank.

The repairer I used is:

Concord autoelectrical and mechanical repairs on Parramatta rd close to the start of m4.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Niiice.

I just went through this myself. Ended up buying a battery because I thought it had dropped a cell since the car was struggling to turn over haha.

Found a few threads on here stating the same thing with the M35 so whipped the starter out and found it caked in crap due to worn brushes. 

There's brush kits available on eBay or even genuine Nissan (part number 23378-0M300) but mine still had a bit of meat left so just cleaned it all up.

I did have minor scoring on the armature but not enough to be concerned. Threw it back in and sounds/starts like a new one.