SAU Community

Designing an Entry Turbo kit for v36 @450HP

mybrains

5 hours ago, 370GTCOUPE said:

whats with all the anger?  Nitrous is a great option even for the street, the only downside is having to fill the bottles really.  

i would expect that kind of power for how cheap he is trying to do it for, low boost etc

Firstly, nitrous is the most potentially destructive of forced induction options. I've wound up with bores being eggshaped by the time the motor reached 150,000kms (started using nitrous at around the 138,000km mark). That shouldn't happen with a VG30DE at that amount of kms. I have had those same bores show microscopic fractures because of the thermal shock that nitrous introduces to a system. It's a cast iron block. Imagine doing that to an alloy block.

Secondly, if you cop a roadside inspection and that bottle is physically connected to the hose, enjoy the massive fine on behalf of the EPA. It will hurt you, a lot. Those risks were worth taking in the early 2000s but times have changed. It was fun to say that I had nitrous in a Maxima once upon a time but I wouldn't go through it again for any vehicle.

Thirdly, using a supercharger or turbo is a better option because of its relative consistency. Cruising speeds on the highway add a little boost depending on your configuration and that just makes efficient power readily available. A better breathing engine is simply a better engine. Basically, it's available across a wider range of your accelerator pedal, as opposed to nitrous strictly being usable at wide open throttle only.

If anyone were to ask me if they should install nitrous in their street car, I would respond with a flat "no."

17 hours ago, The Max said:

Firstly, nitrous is the most potentially destructive of forced induction options. I've wound up with bores being eggshaped by the time the motor reached 150,000kms (started using nitrous at around the 138,000km mark). That shouldn't happen with a VG30DE at that amount of kms. I have had those same bores show microscopic fractures because of the thermal shock that nitrous introduces to a system. It's a cast iron block. Imagine doing that to an alloy block.

Secondly, if you cop a roadside inspection and that bottle is physically connected to the hose, enjoy the massive fine on behalf of the EPA. It will hurt you, a lot. Those risks were worth taking in the early 2000s but times have changed. It was fun to say that I had nitrous in a Maxima once upon a time but I wouldn't go through it again for any vehicle.

Thirdly, using a supercharger or turbo is a better option because of its relative consistency. Cruising speeds on the highway add a little boost depending on your configuration and that just makes efficient power readily available. A better breathing engine is simply a better engine. Basically, it's available across a wider range of your accelerator pedal, as opposed to nitrous strictly being usable at wide open throttle only.

If anyone were to ask me if they should install nitrous in their street car, I would respond with a flat "no."

kiwi land thats why, sorry I forgot australia was so strict with car modifications!

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the US now has a $4500 entry turbo kit out for Z manual.

https://docrace.com/collections/turbo-kits/products/370z-top-mount-single-turbo-kit-pre-order

with currency conversion, shipping and import tax, would end up around 10K I suspect. Also it does not contain any fuel upgrades required (or exhaust), nor a remap. Still price is coming down somewhat. 

• 5 months later...

G'day Mate, regardless of anything else unless it comes from a RHD donor car it simply won't fit.

Going this route I would suggest a pair of turbo's & manifolds from a RHD GTR & adapter plates from a guy on the US Z forums.

VR30 Turbos are going to be to small anyway.

Or if you have a Manual Car, a modified BP Kit is the Go, which is an easy mod for RHD or you could always go A Stillen Supercharger Kit with Air to Air mod kit.

Cheers.

3 hours ago, mycarhasposessedme said:

G'day Mate, regardless of anything else unless it comes from a RHD donor car it simply won't fit.

Going this route I would suggest a pair of turbo's & manifolds from a RHD GTR & adapter plates from a guy on the US Z forums.

VR30 Turbos are going to be to small anyway.

Or if you have a Manual Car, a modified BP Kit is the Go, which is an easy mod for RHD or you could always go A Stillen Supercharger Kit with Air to Air mod kit.

Cheers.

Tru Trevor, ill look into JDM wrecker imports for local parts (over USA). Not sure about VR30DDTT turbos being too small - 500RWHP can be squeezed out of em !   note they are integrated into the exhaust manifold and custom.

https://amsperformance.com/cart/ra-500-performance-package/

Looking at the turbo design, it may be possible to fit a bigger compressor housing and enlarge the wastegate flap/seat a bit.

Ill post ion other thread the VR30DDTT specs

Edited by mybrains