SAU Community

Is it worth to buy a r35 gtr?

Hi guys

Those with experience with a r35 gtr

Is it worth buying?

I own a r34 gtr and will never part with it.

I have the money to by a r35 gtr I just want to know what ppl think of them running costs and so on?

I'd live to buy one now but the price keeps dropping on them I don't know what to do.

Advice please

On 9/22/2017 at 9:27 AM, Leroy Peterson said:

Is it worth it? What are you looking for in a car? Is it for daily duties? Do you plan to track it? Plans to modify etc

On 9/23/2017 at 4:04 AM, thebluecheeseman said:

I was look at spending about 120k on a 35 gtr but I have not driven one. Ever since the 35 came out I wanted one now I can afford it i just don't know. There's more of a hype over r34 gtr's so am I just better with what I have?

Agreed with them. And if you haven't driven one yet, maybe consider test driving one to start with?

• Like 1

I can wade in on this. 

I own a 34R, I test drove one of the very first JDM R35 imports into Aus in 2008/09 (happy to dig up the article from the website I wrote for if needed as proof) and recently test drove a basic bolt on MY11 back to back with an M4.

Go and drive it and I think you will be very surprised, possibly disappointed in some respects. 

To give you some idea of perspective, my 34 is a basic bolt on car with 380rwkw with some mild suspension and brake upgrades.

Things you might like about the 35.

• Torque that starts low and doesn't really stop (the MY11 was a 400rwkw but it felt substantially faster than mine, partly torque partly the DSG.
  • The GR6 DCT shifts faster than you ever will in a manual, so if you want outright speed you cannot beat it in a 34 with a stock Getrag. 
  • The interior is a bit nicer. The 34 is basically a tarted up GT-T from the 90s, the 35 feels more like its price tag vs a 34 - though I didn't like the seat at all.
  • Cruise control/modern features: If you want to GT drive your skyline, cruise is nice. The features/electrics are just better in the 35 given the age gap. 
  • Tougher bottom end: The VR38 will make more power for longer given adequate cooling (don't forget the trans cooling). RBs are known for weak oil pumps, oil control issues etc

Things you might not like. 

• Drivetrain really doesn't feel that refined: It still has the AWD clunks and shunts, even in the newer models that's just the nature of the beast. It does not feel like an upgrade in refinement on my 34 with a twin plate at all. I was really shocked. 
  • DCT woes: Worse in earlier models, but a risk in any, the DCT is expensive to fix and not everyone can or should play with it, earlier models benefit from circlip and cap upgrades, there's a known Bell Housing issue also. Fluid is a little pricey and there's 10L of it but those basic upgrades are actually not that expensive or difficult to do (youtube it). One of the cars greatest weapons is also potentially one of its biggest issues. 
  • Doesn't sound as good (subjective). 
  • Heavy bitch that eats rotors, plan on replacing them with good AP J hooks and get used to expensive tyres (run flats). 
  • Interior is still classic Nissan in terms of plastics, leather isn't high quality on the seats etc. 
  • Less options for aftermarket support (mechanics with the skills to modify and repair it, though you'll be fine in any capital city). 

My conclusion was the M4 was a much better all round package as a nice weekender but as it's a depreciating platform, vs the 34 that's at least sitting stable for now, I sat on it. 

I would move to a 35 that was modded, think MY11 on wards with 600rwhp+ but not worth bothering to get into an 09/10 especially if it's stock. 

Go and drive one. 

• Like 3

Oh and from what it looks like, your 34 is fairly stock. A stock 35 will feel like an exotic supercar in comparison.

Lots of people will tell you that a GT-R really needs a bit of extra grunt from stock to feel half decent - The 35 has that from factory, a 34 will need a few basic bits to wake it up. 

Edited by ActionDan