SAU Community

2017 Kia Stinger

PranK

2017 Kia Stinger  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2017 Kia Stinger

Drive has just released their first drive of the Kia Stinger.

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/driven--kia-s-new-sports-sedan-65255.html

image.png

image.png

Pricing looks good! Also, 0-100 in 4.9 is very impressive.

Eight speed auto seems excessive and no manual controls is a bit disappointing.

What do you think? Is this going to be a cracker or a flop? 

“It’s not very often you get to launch a car that will change the perception of the brand, and that’s exactly what we think the Stinger will do,” said Damien Meredith, Kia Australia’s chief operating officer.

Whether it is any good or not is irrelevant.  By the criteria Kia have jobs already done.

• Like 1

Kias have come a long way

But for the price point and performance, I'd be asking why not a similarly performing HSV or FPV? At least until those become extinct. Fuel economy, maybe. But unless that car gets aftermarket tuning support it's by no means extraordinary

Do agree it's a good step for the company though. I think they need to do more than flagship it. Needs to trickle down to their other models - build a hot hatch. As the article said, this is their WRX moment. Hyundai reimagined itself by overhauling the whole range of offerings.

32 minutes ago, Birds said:

build a hot hatch.

Yes!

I was pretty excited about their pro_cee'd during the concept phase , being want the 86 should have been (affordable turbo) but never really followed up on how they were once they came out.

3 hours ago, GTofuS-T said:

Yes!

I was pretty excited about their pro_cee'd during the concept phase , being want the 86 should have been (affordable turbo) but never really followed up on how they were once they came out.

The GT looks pretty good! I walk past one on the way to/from work and it has some presence.

Kia-Pro_ceed-GT-02.jpg

Interesting that the former BMW M head honcho is now in charge of Kia's performance division. He was quizzed on whether we would see more out of the Stinger's performance from a factory point of view, e.g. a GTR model...

“The car technically has more potential no doubt, but at this point there is no plan to do more,” Biermann told motoring.com.au.

“We have to launch this car and see how it does in the market place. What kind of customers do we get? What would be their next requirement from Kia?

“I think first we need to establish some sort of customer base of these kinds of cars and then maybe next steps can happen. But we need to do this carefully. Step by step.

“Right now there is no plan to make a stronger Stinger or something like that, there is nothing like that out there.”

This is a marketing mistake IMO, assuming he's not just covering for an inability to safely extract more out of the vehicle.

They shouldn't be dipping their feet in the water as a suck it and see exercise. This car is only matching household Aussie sedans with performance for much the same price and they want to see what kind of customers flock to it? It'll fade into obscurity.

They should be dragging customers away from the Aussie and Euro with a real statement; be the talk of the motoring world for more than just the novelty of an econobox manufacturer producing a fish out of water. 3.3 litre engine - plenty capable - Stinger should have 320kw and be doing the 0-100 in 4.4 seconds. Give the M series, Audi S and AMG a run for their money...match HSVs flagship for the price of an SS and people will flock to it. Instead of finding out what kind of customers you get, create them!

• 2 weeks later...

Hyundai have their i30N coming out soon

Optional performance package takes it to 200kw+

0-100 in 6 seconds

It's a turbo 2 litre too, so not a wrung out 1.6/1.8

Getting warmer, Hyundai

3 hours ago, Birds said:

0-100 in 6 seconds

Getting warmer, Hyundai

Yep, both co's making the right noises.

3 minutes ago, PranK said:

Yep, both co's making the right noises.

Just a shame they're chasing the Euros at their own game, who've had that performance for 5 years.They have the price point to pull off some cool stuff and dominate the hot hatch segment, or steal the sports car rug from underneath the Japanese

That damn assymeytical badge though...don't think I could ever like it!

all-new_hyundai_i30_n_2.jpg?itok=xityt44

all-new_hyundai_i30_n_9.jpg?itok=oA7s_-i

4 hours ago, Birds said:

0-100 in 6 seconds

Getting warmer, Hyundai

Why couldn't they have done that with the veloster 

1 hour ago, r32-25t said:

Why couldn't they have done that with the veloster 

I see a few of those on the road but it was a huge mistake making that thing slower than the family sixes

They had the styling and name to obtain road presence and give the Megane RS a run for its money, but not the balls to back it up

Unsurprisingly, most are driven by middle aged women!

• Like 1