SAU Community

Subframe bush issues

kingtube69

Subframe bush issues

Hi All, 

I just noticed an issue with my subframe a few months after installing it (i'm led to believe its been like this since installed) - When I jacked up the diff the subframe moved upwards to the body revealing a 10mm gap between the bushing and the bolt at all 4 corners. If I lower the diff while the car is on stands you can see the subframe hangs with the same gap but up the top. 

The bushings used are Superpro ones and there are no lock collars installed. I'm not sure if I'm missing something but surely there shouldn't be this gap. For what it's worth this is an R33 GTST and I know someone with an R32 GTST with the same problem. 

Can anyone please help me work out why this is like this? I've put some pics below to help show what I mean

sX0jrxg.jpg
ncOsGvP.jpg

That's strange. Only thing I can think of is wrong size bushings?

I chucked sub-frame collars into my R33 yesterday and there was no gap with the stock bushings before putting them in (and of course none after :P )

• Thanks 1

wait, you have removed stock subframe bushes completely, or using the pineapple-type inserts? From the pics looks like you're using full replacement bushes.

It's a few years back now but from what I recall, there were differing designs, and I went with whiteline bushes instead of superpro, I think for what you're experiencing now - they list them for r33 but they're based off r32 or 300zx or something, and don't fit as flush as they should.

I have a gap now, and did even with stock subframe bushes/superpro pineapple rings, but it doesn't move up/down with jacked up, the gap is fixed in position. If yours moves up and down even with the 4x nuts still one tight, that's a bit of a worry. Was the crush tube the same length as the bush it slides into, or longer?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies guys, its complete subframe bushes. I put them in a few months back at my mates workshop. 
Unfortunately I didn't think of measuring the crush tube but I would dare say that is the cause (nuts tight down) 

I'm thinking of chucking the lock washer/collar in the bottom between the washer and the bush to push it hard against the body which should eliminate the gap. The part number was listed for a few different nissans so I would take a guess that you're right @hardsteppa

Thanks for your input guys, I might even call superpro in the morning and run it past them :D

• 4 months later...

So an update on this, a mate with an R32 and the same issue called Superpro and they said we need their pineapple kit too KIT201K which is a PITA. Doesn't make sense that you should have to - nonetheless, I purchased and installed now the subframe sits normally again with no more subframe knocking.