SAU Community

Robs Sil80-more skyline than S chassis

19 minutes ago, TimmyMA70 said:

I love a good DIY build mate. Can't wait to see the finished product. 

Yeah I have found it is easier to do everything myself as haven't got any where up here I trust to do the job properly. 

All going to plan should all be together next weekend. Should look good and be a good reliable car. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Yeah I have found it is easier to do everything myself as haven't got any where up here I trust to do the job properly. 

All going to plan should all be together next weekend. Should look good and be a good reliable car. 

If there was ever someone who gets it, it's me man. I don't trust other shops either. 

However I think it's far more rewarding once the project is complete ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ActionDan said:

What major issues are you running into painting it? dust? runs? 

Colour looks nice. 

orange peel and not enough coverage in spots. Already had a mate suggest rub it all back and give it another coat with all the panels and kit on as i have had to paint the shell and kit seperate. Also trying to paint in a 3m wide space & poor lighting isn't a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 10:14 AM, ActionDan said:

Yeah a rub back and another coat won't hurt, especially if you're already set up to do it now. 

Never gonne come out like a pro on your first go, kudos for having a go. 

On 7/10/2019 at 10:36 AM, admS15 said:

X3 for rub back and another coat

When i get a break between a few events or have another off I go over the whole thing again. 

Finished painting everything but didn't redo the body as racing more importanter with the next hill climb on next weekend.
Just need to fit harness, put in proper coolant, wheel align and clean under the bonnet
IMG_20190718_163332.thumb.jpg.841a66c2dd21994cd179d23329e01c8c.jpg
IMG_20190718_162914.thumb.jpg.66abd2bed88c58f96210715c5c77a2ca.jpg

3 hours ago, ActionDan said:

Looks decent, still sad you didn't go for it while it was all setup and reay to go.

Now you are a pro come do mine thanks.

Came down to time and motivation. Rather be driving than building at the moment. 
Lol, far too cold where you live for me. Have a go but would recommend practicing on spare panels before doing the car.

2 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Looks decent for DIY. I'm thinking of painting my track car also, could you give a rough run down of what you did and cost of materials? cheers

Good from far, far from good. The front end, rear bumper & wing look heaps better than the body.
Sanded down with 320-400 with an orbital and did all the bog. Undercoated then sanded some parts again to fix high & low spots and another undercoat then 800 wet rub then colour. If you have the time and most of the equipment like a decent compressor definitely have  a go. I had to buy a spray gun $100 came with 3 different nozzle sizes 1.4, 1.8 & 2.4mm, sandpaper & paint as i already have a decent airsystem with a 2.5hp compresor, 200L receiver, driers & filters and air hoses. All up so far for paint and material around $900-1000 which was a 3rd of the price local shops wanted for a closed door respray. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 12:20 PM, ActionDan said:

Kinda want something simple like this.

Related image

That looks good, very factory looking.

Post Hill climb update:
Car went well and I ended up 3rd in class and I think 7 or 8th outright in a field of 30.
Tyres took  a few runs to scrub in and to get the pressures right as its a standing start and no warm up. Fastest on the day was a R32 GTR with 500kw doing a 55 seconds. Finished up with a 1:06:86 which is around 2-3 secs off the Sil80.
Cars steering feels light and took a while to get use to until I had some heat in the tyres. Tune needs a look at as had a few problems going back to 100% after a gear change. No leaks or damage so stoked about that. Going to add IAT sensor, move boost & afr gauges, wire a clutch switch and 2 other switches for a few things over the weekend.

Then off to Brisbane for a dyno tuning course and round 4 of Qld time attack at QR the end of next week.

27 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Yeah that's why I like it, still race car bit clean and subtle. 

Sounds like you had a good event, well done. 

Clutch switch? For ignition cut flat shifting or something? 

Yeah and launch control. Want to start using more of the ecu features.

Just standard Sr won't be proper flat shift but will set up ecu to cut ignition when clutch is engaged.  

More setting up for launch control as majority of racing I do is standing start. 

Would love a sequential box, maybe one day if I ever built a proper race car and had a race track and workshop support locally.