SAU Community

Newbie trying to figure out what a piggyback is for r32!!

Kriziaa027

Okay, so I'm sure most of y'all know that the 32 skyline gtst tops out at 110. Well, I'm trying to get my husband this piggyback he keeps talking about. He keeps referring to ECU and piggyback, and I wanted to know if there's a difference and any recommendations you have. Would love some info quick! His birthday is coming up. 

1 hour ago, PranK said:

Where are you located? It should top out at 180, not 110. Unless you mean mph? 

110mph is approx 180kph ;) Sounds like another friend from across the Pacific.

Piggyback is a term given to an ECU add-on, a chip or board, that works on top of the already installed ECU. As already mentioned, Nistune is a great example.

"An ECU" in this instance would generally refer to a stand-alone ECU, one that completely replaced the originally installed ECU.

Neither of these are simple bits that you can just buy as a gift for a birthday, at least in my opinion, as there is lots more to installing an ECU than what it appears on the surface.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, inmaniac said:

Neither of these are simple bits that you can just buy as a gift for a birthday, at least in my opinion, as there is lots more to installing an ECU than what it appears on the surface.

Plus the issue of local support and tuning knowledge

You can kill speed limiter with much less than a Piggyback. While I don't know what the current offerings are, back in the day there was 'Speed limit defencer' and the Apexi RSM GP. Both were super easy to install and would get rid of the limit.

But, if you want to be able to tune as well, thats another thing.