SAU Community

Project Cars 2 - thoughts/discussion

Anfanee

Hey guys,

So I've started playing project cars 2, and i would like to see what other people think of it, and if anyone is having the issues i am.... I will give my first (not very good) impression of it:

After spending HOURS and HOURS playing project cars 1 i can say that I'm more than a little disappointed in the new one... The cars/tracks and everything feels completely different, they feel sluggish and handle like absolute horse shit. Ive also found quite a large bug that irks me more than it should. I'll give some details, note i use a controller:

My lap record on Bathurst PC1 was a 2.03 in the Aston Martin GT3 car. I spent a fair bit of time fiddling with suspension etc to get that lap time. I think from memory before i started fiddling with stuff properly i was doing 2.08 ish... something like that. Possibly remove a second or two with improving as a "driver" as i got more practice. 

I pretty much bought this game for Bathurst, specifically to take the 32 GTR around it. So i thought i'd start with that. Having driven Bathurst on car games ever since i was a child i know it like the bath of my hand, i thought i would have not too much of an issue, just teething problems. Holy shit have i never been so wrong, the thing handles like absolute horse shit, its the most tail happy piece of shit i have ever driven... Now granted it is an old car, but it is more tail happy than my GTR by a significant margin. So the first thing i did, fiddle with the sway bars like i would my car., now that made a huge difference but it really leaves me wondering why that wasn't done on it. So i spent the next two days taking that car around, and eventually gave up , and went back to the Aston GT3 car i have spent hours driving. Maybe going back to a car i know would let me learn the game a bit better... then i could come back to the 32.

Heh wrong again. I got in the GT3 Aston (stock) and was struggling to do a 2:15. The time trial is hugely punishing for clipping walls ever so slightly, or even hitting the ripple strips. Ive lost countless laps that realistically had no reason for it. It felt completely different to the car i used in Project cars 1, but i cannot pinpoint what it is. I feel like it could possibly be a combination of the following:

steering: Issue that is causing my hassles, though reading i'm not the only one with this issue. I have had to drop my steering sens hugely, otherwise with a controller i basically do S bends down the main straight as i can't get the f**king thing to point its nose straight. Now going into corners i feel like i have no steering. However i do feel they have improved the feeling of the car, in that i can tell when the back end is going to go, rather than PC1 which was "anddd im spinning".

Brakes: Or lack there of... My brake markers  are nowhere near what they were in PC1... legit they are 5-10m from where they were. This is causing me huge issues, as i use the brake line i have for hours and hours, and it sends me flying into a wall because the nose of the car won't f**king get into line lol

Acceleration: Eh feels pretty much the same as PC1 in terms of too much throttle/not enough in corners. 

Transition: This is probably the most noticable for me, but i find every car i have tried to be hugely sluggish for transitions into corners. They REALLY don't like going back on the gas after heavy breaking, and even with throttle play, the nose just won't pull around. I feel like i actually need to leave a fairly large delay from braking to accelerator in order for the car to settle down for the corner. It really throws my line up for the corner, as I've never had to leave a delay like this in any game. 

The next one is one that people will either hate me for or get where im coming from....

Driving line: Buggy as alllllll hell. When it's on the track it's completely wrong, and i say "when" because 1 lap it will be there, the other it wont. When trying to learn a new track it is COMPLETELY useless. Considering the driving line is fantastic if you want to use it like i do... I basically ignore what it says and use the little triangles as depth perception, being on a monitor you literally have no depth perception and it has always been the biggest hurdle IMO that sims need to get past. So because of the buggy driving line, i have zero depth perception, even when it is on it's wrong and sends me flying into a wall or tells me to go way too slowly. because of the dead brakes i have no brake marks that i can use from the old game... Do i have to completely ignore all past sims that i have used to learn the track again?? 

At this point I'm thinking of returning PC2 and getting PC1 again. 

What are other peoples thoughts, am i retarded, or is there something off with this game? Am i missing something? 

I bought it the other day aswell to play until gt sport comes out as the game only cost me $17 and wanted to have a comparison between the 2.

Also my first impressions were not good.

Took about 3 hours to update my ps4 and install the game.

Having never played the 1st game I was expecting it to be really good after reading all the hype surrounding it.

I tried just playing in the free run part in the r35 first.

I never expected handling to be soo bad.

The cars don’t feel like they r on the track.

The slightest turn of the wheel sent it spinning in circles

Tried playing with some settings n driver aids n it was marginally better but I’m not going to spend hours setting up various different cars to just try n get somewhat of a normal feeling

I only ended up playing for about n hour before I got frustrated with constantly going off the track with minimal wheel movement

Even tried in an evo thinking s lower power car might be a better way to start but even that was bad.

If I payed full price I would of been pissed

I’ll give it another go on Friday when I have a day off but I don’t have high hopes if feeling any better about the game

Spent another 4 hours last night and i came to the conclusion you HAVE to fiddle with the settings of the car. After paying proper attention to what was going on it was clear it was MASSIVE understeer, both when entering the corner and throughout. hardened up both the suspension and the sway bars and it made a huge difference. Though i have still found occasionally the car just doesn't want to pull the front end of the car around. 

I've got the Aston GT3 car down to a 2:10 with most of my laps sitting around 2:11 but realistically i don't see much more in it from here. I've gotten the Cutting pretty much perfect i think, as i have the dipper, S, and Forrests Elbow. Though when i check the leaderboard the lap record with that car is a 1.58... to which i ask what the f**k? I must be missing something.... In saying that i have more work to do with the brakes. I think i can lose some more time now moving the brake bias/pressure so i don't get lockups.

It kind of disappoints me that you need to fiddle with the suspension and aero so much to even get a lap in, that these "race" cars handle so horribly in the stock form. Project cars 1 was much more forgiving in the initial setup. I would hate to be playing the campaign right now, having to spend hours setting up each car before a race is just stupid. 

From what I've read online it's a fairly buggy launch, and the makers of the game have accepted that. The driving line is 100% bugged, as is Bathurst with the times being made invalid due to hitting a ripple strip. Thinking i might put the game down until after south park and give the developers time to patch it. I'm pretty disappointed that i paid $80 for this at the moment... As PC1 is a better game IMHO.

on a side note... Bathurst is f**king ugly in PC2. Graphics improved? the trees look like horse shit lol

Man, this is really sad to hear.

I saw a lot of negative comments and thought it was people being sour or used to Forza or something. It's on my steam wishlist and I will buy it, because I like the idea of an improved career mode and much improved UI plus Japanese cars.

I haven't got time to play it now, so I'll wait for it to go on sale and hopefully some patches will improve things.

I recently got this and was pretty amazed, it drives signifigantly better than PCars 1 and is far closer to iRacing or Assetto Corsa.

I can only speak of driving with a wheel, I'm absolutely no pro, but in any car I always felt like it was me driving like a spaz if I had an off, not the game 'gaming' it.

Can't see the point in using a race simulator without a wheel and pedals but anyway my new PS4pro setup will be finished soon so no personal experience yet. From what I've seen though the cars look and act real eg compared with Forza where the cars seem to float along without any direct interaction with the track. I've raced around Bathurst so the comparison will be interesting, there are a couple of Jap cars available so the aim is to tune the most suitable as similar as possible to my track car and go from there. The idea is to gain more Bathurst familiarity as relevant to my track car, will report back.

So i've done more testing with different cars and ive come to the conclusion that they are just VERY hit and miss when it comes to the stock setup. I got in the Ferrari GT3 car and posted a 2:08 on like my third lap without even touching the suspension. Yet in the Aston Martin GT3 car i struggle to get a 2:11 and it understeers like crazy. With the Mclaren longtail i have done a 2:00 dead, i think the lap record is a 1:57. Still a little disappointed that the cars vary so much in terms of handling, and extremely disappointed in how the 32 GTR handles, considering to get it to even kind of behave you just do what you would to a stock GTR. I would not expect to have to do this on a Group A race car, one would expect it was already done. Alas i'm having a good time driving the Ferrari and the Longtail around Bathurst, when you finally get a car to behave it's a decent game. 

So i'm left with two major issues:

Driving line is still buggy, doesn't work at all really. 

I don't believe you should have to fiddle with the suspension so much to get a RACE CAR to get around a corner at even a mediocre speed. Sure with tweaking the suspension you should be able to post a better time, but some cars are literally 6 seconds slower a lap when they are the same class, stock for stock. Realistically if i do a 2:08 in the Ferrari i would expect a 2:05ish with further tweaking. I can't even imagine how annoying the game would be playing career mode and having to tweak every car you get into, some people just don't have that kind of time. 

What hardware are you using Anfanee? With the PS4 pro I found the 240Z  with the stock setup a pig to drive, high speed oversteer, low speed understeer. Yet a real racer friend on PC is having a ball with the same car.

On 13/10/2017 at 6:20 PM, 260DET said:

What hardware are you using Anfanee? With the PS4 pro I found the 240Z  with the stock setup a pig to drive, high speed oversteer, low speed understeer. Yet a real racer friend on PC is having a ball with the same car.

PS4 non pro, with a controller. 

I think the coding on the cars they have just stuffed up. The Ferrari is a 10x better car, than the Aston.. yet they are both GT3 cars. Sure they should be slightly different but not 4 seconds a lap different. 

I know a lot of games have users catalogue their setups on each car. If you can't be bothered tweaking your own, it's always worth a Google. (I know it's shit, but quicker than figuring it out yourself)

On project cars 1 I had it down that every car needed a few more degrees camber, a few less psi in the tyres, firmer rollbars and less suspension travel (stiffness). So I'd just wing it for the practice session and tweak from there.

Get onto Gumtree or some where Anafree and get yourself a cheap wheel setup rather than use the controller,  apparently the Ginetta ? goes pretty well out of the box, obviously some cars like the Datsun 240Z are crap out of the box but there is plenty of choice, it would be unrealistic to think that every car offered in the game would have been individually tuned to perfection. 

PS4 pro with Logitech wheel and pedals running the Nissan/Datsun 240Z around Bathurst. Stock it's rubbish so dialled in some negative and camber now it behaves sort of like a car. Navigating PS4 for this non nerd is a super pain but whatever I get to familiarise myself with Bathurst and all it subtleties and that's the important thing,  the circuit seems to have been modelled accurately so nice work there.

Changed cars to the LM 300ZX for a bit more go fasts, out of the box it's more realistic than the 240Z. For my purpose Cars 2 is great although I suspect it would be better on PC, Logitech wheel is a bit ordinary in that it  does not self centre properly, otherwise it's reasonable, too small in diameter of course.

It will be interesting to compare PC2 Bathurst with the real thing 8 days from now, by that I mean  lines, throttle control and relative corner speeds particularly. So far comparing PC2 with real footage of Bathurst it's pretty damn good, one of the things I've learnt is that corner speed is still very important for lap times even given the long straights at Bathurst. When 'driving' the IMSA 300ZX which is a 2min + low teen lap car backing off a bit on the corners lost ~10 seconds. I have no clue what the other games are like but PC2 gets a big thumbs up from me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I play this with G29 on PC.  The f**king oversteer out of corners drives me mental.  Turn in fine, through corner fine, coming out, wooooop, here comes the tail and there's nothing I can f**king do to catch it!  Oh look, I'm nosed into the wall at a right angle.

After doing some Googling it would seem this is a very, VERY common issue.

The rear needs to be catchable. As it is now the moment it starts to go you're a passenger.

I do like Nurburgring in a V8 Supercar though....right up until the rear overtakes the nose

Change your diff settings. Most of the cars have default diff settings of full lock on decel, and partial lock on acceleration. This completely changes how the cars actually drive around, or put on the viscous diff option.

The Skylines then drive like Skylines, though I can understand why you'd want locking on decel to overcome understeer on a race car on a road chassis if you're a skilled actual racing driver, I clearly am not :P