SAU Community

R33 to R34 upgrade?

CEF33Y

Hey guys,

After some input.

Basically I've just sold my cefiro I'd built over the last 6 years. Built as a street car that I could take drifting. RB20, 240rwkw, laggy. No air con, loud, etc etc.

Maybe my age is catching up with me, haha, but didn't really enjoy it much lately, hence the sale.

I'd planned to replace it with a R34 sedan, keep the aircon, and just do the basics, (coil overs, diff, basic engine power mods for around 200rwkw).

My "daily" at the current time is a 97 series 2 R33 sedan, turbo auto.

Never really that into it, bought it off a mate when we needed a new run around, basically stock. Goes ok, but on the standard struts (with lowering springs) was never that inspiring to drive.

Popped that up for sale, and started looking for a R34. 

Test drove one, and this is where I started getting confused. I think I may have had it in my head that  R34 would be noticeably better than our 33, well, the one I drove was not! Ha. Interior was a bit nicer, but no more room (less in the rear seats) than the 33. Chassis wise it felt very similar, and even power was no noticeable difference. TBH I think the r34 I drove wasn't running very well, our 33 feels quicker.

This was turbo auto too (budget doesn't stretch to a factory manual, planing to convert an auto).

Anyway, starting to think I might be better keeping the 33 sedan and modding that, as opposed to buying an R34.

Has anyone else made the switch from a R33 to a R34? Did you notice a sizeable difference between the two? 

The r33 and 34 suspension are identical as are the auto transmissions, to be honest i couldn't see the point in upgrading (more like side stepping) from a 33 to a 34. 

Ive driven both and despite the claimed extra 20kw I can't tell the difference and it's only really cosmetically that they are all that different from each other

• Like 1