SAU Community

RS4S clicking from dashboard problem

ian

my s2 rs4s has developed a clicking noise from the dash - somewhere behind the steering wheel it sounds like a decent sized relay is clicking. It's doing it all the time (with the engine going) ie even if I'm stationary and not in gear..

It's also happening at a consistent interval ie about every 16.8 seconds.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

It could be related to my other problem, which started a few days ago, though possibly not - ie  my coil light is on, so one of them might have a fault (speaking of that, if anyone has a link to a 'how to change your coil please post it as I'm sure it's up here somewhere but I can't find it (I think 'search' is having problems tonight..).

Edited by ian
typo

What's a coil light? There will be a DIY on changing your spark plugs in the general DIY section and you have to remove the coils to get at them. If you are getting new coils go for OEM or Splitfires. To search use Google - most Stagea or RB related questions will produce a large number of SAU posts or threads.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, coils fixed, but the relay (well, it sounds like one) is still clicking every 16 seconds.

It was in the engine compartment, lhs next to the steering, black case in front of the brown box. Can anyone tell me what it is??

ie

image.png.160d84b41346494c4dec9ae7f7f51318.png

Edited by ian

ok, pulled the relay out, and the 4wd warning light goes on..

So something in the 4wd system is getting this relay to pulse on every 16 seconds...

I had a read of

and maybe it is something similar (though my abs light is not on).

Anybody with suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...