SAU Community

Garrett GT4088 Vs GTW3476

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You're better off with a Hypergear turbo to be honest.

His latest high flow will get you close to 300kW on 98RON in the stock location, stock dump, etc. (Just need the right supporting mods).

On E85 or WMI you'll easily go 350kW+

Is there a reason you push hypergear so much over other brands? I notice it's not just in this thread but plenty of others as well

33 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

Is there a reason you push hypergear so much over other brands? I notice it's not just in this thread but plenty of others as well

In context there are probably not many current alternatives which bolt on so easily and perform fairly well - though as soon as you go to custom piping etc I think you're better off looking at the likes of Garrett etc.

• Like 2

Best reason I can think of.  They are a bit cheaper but they are also relatively laggy for the power they make compared to more popular/big name options - in my experience

Edited by Lithium

I’m open to opinions and reviews on turbos that you guys have had in the past. 

Ive had a look at garret, precision, kinugawa, hypergear, done research on all and it’s between hypergear and garret probably! Still learning as we discuss anyways. 

2 hours ago, r32-25t said:

It's because it's a complete bolt on solution, yes a GTX3071 "might" be bolt on, but you still need a new intake new water/oil lines and by the time you're done that's nearly double the price of a Hypergear.

Most GTS-t owners:

• are on a budget
  • usually do the work themselves because of point 1
  • want power fast
  • want not so much lag
  • want plug and play

If someone had a built motor, and wanted 400kW+ etc. said they wanted power/response for roll racing/track work then I wouldn't recommend a Hypergear. There are other threads where I've mentioned GTX3576s or EFR8374s, etc.

Just to be clear, I am not sponsored by Hypergear nor is there any financial benefit for me in recommending the brand.

I met a guy having trouble with an rb30 chewing through gt3582r turbos with .63 rear. 

What ended up happening was rear of chra turned blue and cooked the bearings. 

They only lasted a few thousand kms.

Put a Borg Warner airwerks on with bigger rear and the car fell apart around the turbo.

I'd imagine a .82 on 3576 would work much better.

• Like 2