SAU Community

R33 RB25DET Series 2 suspect head gasket

Hi guys,

I took my R33 to be tuned. The Tuner didn't end up tuning to a suspect headgasket leak after overheating.

He said it pressurised the overflow bottle with coolant and has a constant stream of bubbles when trying to bleed the cooling system.

I tried to bleed the cooling system myself and there are some bubbles after 500km of driving it so no air should be present especially after a fair few heat cycles. But not a constant stream maybe a couple bubbles every minute or so.

Does this sound like blown headgasket?

If so, can I get away with resurfacing the head, putting a MLS headgasket on and ARP headstuds?

Can anyone confirm if you can take head off without taking cams out and reinstall it with cams in and fit the arp head bolts in?

Can someone link me to an engine manual I can either buy or download?

Much appreciated, can't wait to get car back on road. 

Thank you.

Id be using a stock headgasket as they have more tolerance to the mating surfaces..
Yeah 100% agree with this. There are usually pretty specific roughness ratings required for a good seal on an MLS.

Dont just assume that MLS are always better. Std gasket will be fine by the sounds of what you are after. If you build an engine from the ground up, thats the time to think about MLS.

ARP head studs are a better idea.

On 10/15/2017 at 7:31 AM, 89CAL said:

Yeah 100% agree with this. There are usually pretty specific roughness ratings required for a good seal on an MLS.

Dont just assume that MLS are always better. Std gasket will be fine by the sounds of what you are after. If you build an engine from the ground up, thats the time to think about MLS.

ARP head studs are a better idea.

On 10/13/2017 at 5:25 AM, AngryRB said:

Id be using a stock headgasket as they have more tolerance to the mating surfaces..

I agree with this, however the tuner recommended a MLS headgasket and has already placed the order so I am stuck with going with it now.

Ended up pulling the head off, did have a minor leak in the gasket incase anyone reading this in the future. Horrible job to get the head off not fun at all.

Personally id rather wear the cost of the MLS, buy a genuine one and have him fit that. Still cheaper than doing it all over again

You might be lucky but the stock gasket is def more forgiving