SAU Community

Change flywheel? Quick revving

Hello,

So today I was driving and some guy told me to pull over and started talking about my car. He said my revs are too slow coming down after letting go of the accelerator. 

I think its ok but it would be cool if it went down quicker i guess just for sound but anyway.. would that be a flywheel change?

3 hours ago, AusFreak said:

Hello,

So today I was driving and some guy told me to pull over and started talking about my car. He said my revs are too slow coming down after letting go of the accelerator. 

I think its ok but it would be cool if it went down quicker i guess just for sound but anyway.. would that be a flywheel change?

Well theoretically a heavy OEM flywheel will want to stay in motion longer. A lightweight flywheel should change the rpm response but it can also have an effect on idle.

Im assuming this wasnt someone you knew? I think thats an odd thing to have happen personally haha.

nah i was driving and this guy told me to pull over and he was talking about how the do up cars n stuff like that. Because im overseas they use russian words for every car part so i couldnt understand him well.

So if i put in a lighter flywheel would their  be any cons to that for example, break? :P

When I made the change, it required a slight change to the way I walked off the clutch. Button clutch, so it slightly increased the chances of a stall.  So use another couple hundred rpm at the engagement point.

Otherwise it was all positive.  Engine felt more responsive to throttle changes (but not by a huge amount - you get used to it so quickly it becomes the new normal). 

Made a relatively sporty car feel a little more sporty, IMO.

4 hours ago, Dobz said:

Gauging from the last paragraph of your first post, no you don't need a lighter flywheel. It'll just make it less pleasant for you to drive around the streets.

Exactly! Haha.

I found the idle to be a little more all over the place and honestly the clutch was a lot more touchy. Its great on a race track but not so much on the streets.

That said a lot of people dont mind driving a lightened flywheel

Lightened flywheel is fine but I'd only bother with it if already doing a clutch change etc.

Yes it will make engine speed decrease quicker. It will also make take off proportionally harder / require more revs because of less kinetic energy stored inside it to get the vehicle moving. So I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver with a button clutch in bumper to bumper traffic. As mentioned before, idle can be less stable too and may not be happy below ~1000rpm, depending how light it is.

3 hours ago, Birds said:

Lightened flywheel is fine but I'd only bother with it if already doing a clutch change etc.

I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver with a button clutch in bumper to bumper traffic.

This ^^ +1

There's a fair bit of effort to pull the box, and you wouldn't put in a lighter flywheel without correspondingly more serious clutch setup.

And if it's a daily driver in heavy traffic then forget it.  Actually, still do it, but buy an automatic Hyundai for the heavy traffic grind.

• Like 1

Fortunately for me, this car isnt in Australia so bumper to bumper traffic isnt too much of a problem since i dont like going into the city.

I have taken everything into consideration thanks for the info :)

i wont be changing it, like i give a F what some random on the street says. I got one of the kick ass cars in this country (Armenia) i'll be working on other things.

Story time:

Last night i went to a car shop where lots of cool cars usually are too see whats up and they saw my skyline and they made a call and another skyline showed up within 60 seconds and they had said they had seen me in the city but people didnt believe him haha so anyway we hung out and all these hotted up cars showed up, yeah was fun. Got some new cool friends, rare to find people that know stuff and are into cars here.

• Like 2

Interesting to hear that sort of camaraderie which I think people take for granted here. Even as imports are getting rarer and rarer, people here still don't even wave at each other as they drive past.

Interesting to hear that sort of camaraderie which I think people take for granted here. Even as imports are getting rarer and rarer, people here still don't even wave at each other as they drive past.
God damn street racers
  • Like 1