SAU Community

4 hours ago, fatz said:

Should also say in America where all the epic numbers come from their ponies are smaller than the rest of the world so this may also lead to disappointment cause it didn't make 400kw

The fat man is correct. 

Here is 1 American hp

Screenshot_20171111-134807.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update;

Trigger disc and sensor now in - just needs to be calibrated.

IMG_2743.thumb.JPG.bbe57a3e22bae2dc26c4df15b561edeb.JPG

Also doing some rust repairs and a general tidy up behind the rear windscreen seal,

IMG_2748.thumb.JPG.84957f87bcb4680e5a9db3ac87b52bed.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MattSR said:

What brand of trigger disc is that?

This particular one is just made here locally in NZ - just as a cheaper alternative to the ross ones you usually see. CNC'd disc and a bosch sensor. $380.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Komdotkom said:

Any news on this? I'm keen to hear if you have managed to pick up any hidden hp with the altered trigger.

I'm still hoping that there's a way to get the IWG EFR's to make decent numbers.

Car is just about to be painted following on from some rust repairs, will be tuned on E85 after I get a bigger fuel pump in there. I should have something within the month provided the tuner is available.

The IWG didn't cause any problems for me apart from the actuator bolts on the arm coming loose.. the boost control was fine there. Will likely be getting a harder spring too before the tune. Will be good to see what happens when we can add more timing down low and see how aggressive it can really come on!

Sorry for the lack of updates!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Updated results, still 98octane with the updated cam trigger.

Skinny red trace: Old tune low boost

Skinny green trace: Old tune high boost

Solid green trace: New tune low boost (10.5psi)

Solid red trace: New tune high boost (21.5psi)

ECU onboard MAP sensor is limiting boost.

IMG_20181211_172251.jpg

Edited by Dievos
  • Like 3

So that means? Am I guessing right that 75% of the improvement is fuel as E85 masks the high back pressure and any inefficiency in the setup and just gets busy making numbers? Then may the tune with more accurate ignition?

I know my old setup loved going to E85 as it simply allowed more boost and ignition everywhere over 98 when the thing just became too prone to detonation. E85 seems to make inefficient air pumps work a load better. 

Looks a far better result and imagine drives like a different beast

20 hours ago, Roy said:

So that means? Am I guessing right that 75% of the improvement is fuel as E85 masks the high back pressure and any inefficiency in the setup and just gets busy making numbers? Then may the tune with more accurate ignition?

I know my old setup loved going to E85 as it simply allowed more boost and ignition everywhere over 98 when the thing just became too prone to detonation. E85 seems to make inefficient air pumps work a load better. 

Looks a far better result and imagine drives like a different beast

What it means is that the car does not have any issues continuing to make more power at high rpm - this set up made as much as 368kwatw with power actually wanting to increase but was out of the knock threshold for 98 and we couldn't try more boost as the ECU MAP sensor was maxed. Boost control does not spike when it reaches full boost and the control tables are still quite basic.

Edited by Dievos

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, Dievos said:

What it means is that the car does not have any issues continuing to make more power at high rpm - this set up made as much as 368kwatw with power actually wanting to increase but was out of the knock threshold for 98 and we couldn't try more boost as the ECU MAP sensor was maxed. Boost control does not spike when it reaches full boost and the control tables are still quite basic.

So more accurate ignition control paid huge dividends.  That's great news.

98 fuel is the current limiting factor, and to run more boost you will need to pull timing to keep it together?

Mid range torque looks like it should pull hard off corners with awd traction capability.  Very good - must be very satisfying to drive.  

Wonder why torque drops so noticeably around 62-6400?  Very similar trait to RB25. Be interesting to see what EMAP looks like

On 12/16/2018 at 10:31 AM, fatz said:

this Australia or nz cause that’s mythical power on 98?

Power sounds right, it's on a hub dyno. Put some wheels on it and drop it onto a Mainline and probably read about 15 to 20kW less. 

Put it onto a Dyno Dynamics and it will read more power (especially if the ambient temp sensor is disconnected or left near a heat source lol). 

• 8 months later...