SAU Community

oil to help quieten engine

Mick

i have an r33 gtst and just had timing belt and a new exhaust manifold put on cos the old one cracked in half, the mechanic said my lifters are noisy so that must be the wining noise when im driving, anyways i know my oil needs changing so i wana put something thicker in to quiet it down a bit cos its loud at idle, would a 10w40 do it or what would you recommend

yeah sorry i didnt explain it all properly, the engine has a loud tick when its idling, very loud and i suspect that the oil is stuffed cos i havnt changed it in years, i just keep topping it up instead so i think that might be contributing to the noisy lifters so i want to get an oil thats maybe a little thicker so it will quiet down lifter noise so that why i was asking if 10w40 is a good idea.
so if anyone has any suggestions on what weight of oil i should go for a car that has 180,000k on the clock and has noisy lifters.

Secondly im not sure if this other noise is from the lifters but it seems that when im driving the car it seems to whine, almost like those kids toy cars that you push a few times to wind them up and them let them go, it gets louder and faster with rpm. I just thought it was cos if the lifters cos the car is going faster so that knocking/tapping noise gets faster and turns into that noise i get, but now im not so sure. I just had the timing belt done by a mechanic and he probably just used a standard one, the noise was happening before the belt change and i could even hear it over the noise of my broken exhaust manifold, more of a winding noise than a whining noise. i will have to check to make sure its not from the alternator and i read that a power steering pump can make a whining noise but i dont know if its the same type of noise im getting.

could i take the power steering belt off and take it for a drive to check if the noise is still there or gone??

anyways guys sorry for the long post, but i really need to go get oil in the morning cos it needs changing bad so does anyone have ideas on what weight to get??

I would use an engine flush then use a 10w-40 oil, i prefer 0w-40Mobil 1 but whatever. Maybe in your case i would do a oil change with some cheaper oil and then repeat flush and oil change after 2000kms to help flush the crap out.

Then id disconnect all auxillary belts for a few brief start ups to help figure out the whining source.  But from my own experience the OEM timing belt does have a slight whine to it, and hopefully you did the water pump and idle/tensioner bearings with the new belt and its all correctly tensioned.

Edited by AngryRB

Any new oil is going to be better than the oil in your motor at the moment. Even a shitty bottle of 10W40 Magnetec will be better.

On 21/10/2017 at 11:23 PM, Mick said:

suspect that the oil is stuffed cos i havnt changed it in years, i just keep topping it up instead so i think that might be contributing to the noisy lifters

yes thankyou thats exactly what i done, i used the nulon engine oil flush and ran it for 20mims them dumped the oil and put a new filter on it and put some cheap 10w40 semi synthetic in it cos i will dump it in a week or so and then put another new filter and some good full synthetic in it and then it will be good then.
When i put the oil in and started the car i wasnt too happy cos it was still ticking/hammering pretty loud, i drove my misses into town to work and back and it was still loud, so i decided to go for a better drive and give it a bit of a punch and by the time i got back the noise had gone and sounds luke a brand new bloody car!!
I recommend anyone who has the dredded lifter ticking/hammering to do this, it worked for me and i couldnt be happier and i know the engine is much much happier as well

and i should also mention that when i say i gave it a bit of a punch i dont mean i broke the speed limit or anything, i just more got it from 0 to 110 quickly a few times. i would not recommend speeding especially when your taking the car for a drive cos the lifters are very loud, cos if they are stuffed it could cause a major engine failure i would assume.

Nothing wrong with the cheap semi synth oil, full synthetics advantage is longer change intervals. Oil tech has improved since our cars were new, so there is no penalty in using the cheaper stuff. I'm of the opinion that cheaper oil changed more frequently is an advantage because it removes more sludge from the engine. For turbo engines I change the oil every 6 months or 5 000Km, which ever comes first.