SAU Community

Dyno Results for HKS GT III - SS Sports Turbo - Twins

On 1/7/2022 at 12:16 PM, joshuaho96 said:

They're pretty mediocre but I figured someone would be interested if they ever dug this thread up. Personally all I'm hoping for is to get results on par with -7s, any more than that I'd consider a win. Every time I look at the twin turbo piping it's pretty cringeworthy how many twists and turns and right angle merges occur.

They aren’t even close to being on par, they are so far behind -7/9s it’s ridiculous! either of those would be all in on a stock engine long before that engine and carry power further through the rev range 

On 6/30/2022 at 7:55 PM, r32-25t said:

They aren’t even close to being on par, they are so far behind -7/9s it’s ridiculous! either of those would be all in on a stock engine long before that engine and carry power further through the rev range 

Isn't this at least partially due to the way the dyno run was done? I'm used to seeing runs where they start as low as 1500 rpm to see how boost develops over the 2000-3000 rpm range. Seeing the torque curve fall on its face by 6000 RPM similar to this chart gives me some confidence that this run wasn't just entirely make-believe:

image.thumb.png.8eeb75f159f7209962880c030ce86f51.png

In theory sounds plausible. Real world will do 2 tenths of f**k all.

You can't really engineer around fundamentally poor turbo setups. I learnt the hard way with the HKS T51 and more recently the Trust T78 - both garbage.

On 01/07/2022 at 11:05 PM, TXSquirrel said:

Waste of time, to really do it right you need to split it all the way to the throttle bodies.

1x IC per turbo per 3x cylinders.

Easier to just go to a single turbo.

On 7/1/2022 at 9:08 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Waste of time, to really do it right you need to split it all the way to the throttle bodies.

Easier to just go to a single turbo.

Yes to do it properly for how much? Custom piping and split design intercooler, a few thousand dollars? And to gain how much extra, 20whp?  Tell me straight up you will personally spend money and get that setup done.  A divided charge pipe cost $200 and gain 10whp.  Actually even if it doesn't gain anything they can have my $200.  Oh wait, I did already, because there are worse ways to waste $200.

Edited by TXSquirrel

On 01/07/2022 at 11:38 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

And will still do f**k all in reality.

On 01/07/2022 at 11:51 PM, TXSquirrel said:

Yes to do it properly for how much? Custom piping and split design intercooler, a few thousand dollars? And to gain how much extra, 20whp?  Tell me straight up you will personally spend money and get that setup done.  A divided charge pipe cost $200 and gain 10whp.  Actually even if it doesn't gain anything they can have my $200.  Oh wait, I did already, I put money where my mouth is.

Do you still have stock unmodified turbo manifolds ? Or even worse stock dump pipe / turbo elbows? If it is a yes to either there is much more to be gained in this area in overall performance than a minor perceived intake imbalance.

On 7/1/2022 at 9:29 AM, BK said:

And will still do f**k all in reality.

Do you still have stock unmodified turbo manifolds ? Or even worse stock dump pipe / turbo elbows? If it is a yes to either there is much more to be gained in this area in overall performance than a minor perceived intake imbalance.

I have the older 68mm Tomei elbows and ported stock manifolds.  I am thinking about getting the cast Tomei manifolds, any thoughts on those?  Because so far I have seen inconsistent results.

On 02/07/2022 at 12:21 AM, TXSquirrel said:

Yes to do it properly for how much? Custom piping and split design intercooler, a few thousand dollars? And to gain how much extra, 20whp?  Tell me straight up you will personally spend money and get that setup done.  A divided charge pipe cost $200 and gain 10whp.  Actually even if it doesn't gain anything they can have my $200.  Oh wait, I did already, because there are worse ways to waste $200.

No, I would throw out the twin turbo junk from day 1 and pop on a twin scroll modern single turbo.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 12:44 AM, TXSquirrel said:

I have the older 68mm Tomei elbows and ported stock manifolds.  I am thinking about getting the cast Tomei manifolds, any thoughts on those?  Because so far I have seen inconsistent results.

Port match the stock manifolds. Do not waste your money on those Tomei things. I did a back to back years ago and it netted 0.000000 of 0 compared to tickled up stockers. First set cracked and the second set I blew a hole in the runner of number 1 after 1500 kms. The new ones are cast but I wouldn’t waste your money. I made 635 rwhp through a set of factory cast manifolds. 

The twin turbo pipe mod IS worth doing. It’s cheap and easy. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist that the angle that the front turbo is merging is retarded. When using larger twin butt plugs like GT RS/-10’s it goes a long way to reduce the infamous “choof choof” when coming onto boost.

There is a cheeky mod that you can do to the compressor elbows. The factory casting has an indentation for the bolts. Fill that indentation in, grind it out and use a stud. I have posted photos of this on here. The factory piping setup really is garbage. Tight bends, small pipes, it’s all junk.

1 x vote for a medium single. On earlier, easier to work on, make more grunt, better under the foot. It’s ALL win. There is not one negative to it.

• 6 months later...

HKS GT3 SS

Made 377rwkw at 23psi on E85

W/

Link G4X ECU

HKS GT3 SS turbos

HKS SS-Cam 264 deg

HKS inlet/exhaust cam gears 

HKS fuel rail

1,250cc injectors

Walbro 525 fuel pump

Ported stock exhaust manifold 

HPI dump pipe

Tomei equal length titanium front pipe

HKS Hi Power Silent catback

Nitto sine drive oil pump

Nitto forged pistons

Nitto H-beam conrods 

Nitto head oil drain

Nismo plenum

Nismo conrod and main bearings 

Nismo twin plate clutch

Nismo R-Tune air duct

Nismo air inlet piping

Nismo intercooler piping

Plazmaman 76mm intercooler

Stock airbox

326171937_545004667581143_5367877037121387277_n.jpg

326434388_484250780561418_8358841061051061334_n.jpg

326514406_887056985777094_3770487872729082517_n.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Dumpe said:

Very similar to my set up but I haven’t got the car back…are you happy with the power?  I was hoping for 400kw…

400 kW sounds highly optimistic for the GTIII-SS considering it's a smaller turbo than the original GT-SS. The best I've seen from a Mustang dyno is something like 300 kW on the dot. I would personally be happy with something like an honest 280 kW to the wheels.

On 3/9/2023 at 11:15 PM, Dumpe said:

Very similar to my set up but I haven’t got the car back…are you happy with the power?  I was hoping for 400kw…

assuming your car is being done at JMS!?!

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/03/2023 at 11:45 PM, Dumpe said:

I am happy with the power, I wasn't really going for outright numbers and was after something responsive, stock-looking and not too loud since I drive the car several times a week. The past 6 years I've owned it it's been stock, so the almost double increase in power is enough to keep me happy for now. The car feels like stock to drive and the GTIII-SS have a nice whistle to them, even with the stock airbox.

I was told by the shop that 400kW was achievable, they believe the stock airbox, restrictive exhaust (HKS Hi Power Silent) and fuel hat are the last bits to get from 377 to around 400. 

In hindsight, I might have gone for the similarly priced HKS GTIII-2530 or GTIII-RS, however if you've done a similar set up to me, you're only a turbo change away from achieving much more power.