SAU Community

Removing Auto Trans Fluid

Mick

hey my car is already jacked up and has the trany drain plug removed, now i am aware that this only removes some of the atf fluid and that i should have brought a heap of oil and ran the car with the trany lines removed and had 1 in new oil and one in an empty container to flush it all, i know all this already now but its too late. I only have 1 car and its already jacked up with the drain plug removed and i only have a 4ltr container of Transmax Z here, so my question is now that i have removed the oil from the trany pan, i will remove the pan in a minute and put the new trans filter in it and put the pan back on with a new gasket but i was wondering what else i could do to remove more fluid from it with the way it is now, i have an air compressor here so i read that i can remove the 2 hoses from the trans cooler and pump air into it to get that little bit out, but is there any other things i could do as well??

could i put compressed air into the dip stick tube?

could i put compressed air into either one of the cooler lines that is going towards the transmission?

would any of those methods push any fluid back into the pan at all?

i also wana make sure its safe, i am worried about pumping in compressed ait into a transmission that runs on pressure, the compressor i have is a constant running low volume one.

Any advice on what i can do to remove more fluid with the way the car is right now would be greatly appreciated thankyou

From experience in all of my other A/T cars, the only way to get all of the old fluid out is through the machine that's used at those quick oil change places. They pretty much charge the system with compressed air and force the old stuff out while simultaneously pumping new stuff in. 

The torque converter has fluid in it is as well and you'd have to drop the TC to get the fluid out of that. I'm safely assuming you have a trans oil cooler as well? Between all of the lines and systems, you'll never get ALL of the fluid out, but the oil pan has a majority of it in it. 

What I've done is drained the old fluid, topped with new stuff, drove a month, drained it again and refilled. The new oil was contaminated with the old oil so I had a better chance get the old stuff out, but you'll never fully eliminate it all. It'd cost too much to go back and forth. 

It's like a regular oil change, you'll always have old oil in the crank shaft and in the system regardless. Best thing to do is drain it overnight and bolt everything back the following morning. I've found I got the most sludge out that way.

Pull the trans cooler hose off the radiator and have it pointing into a bucket. Get a slender funnel that jams in the filler tube. Fill up the funnel and start the car to get fluid moving.

Keep the funnel topped up and keep an eye on the fluid draining out so you can see when only clean fluid is coming out. When clean fluid is coming out wait until the fluid in the funnel has dropped to the dipstick then shut the car off.

Put the cooler hose back on then start the car and check the fluid level. If too high you need to shut off the car, pull the hose again and start for a couple of seconds to spit a bit more fluid out. Check level and repeat of still too full.

When the proper fluid level is achieved start the car and select all the gears to check they all engage. Check fluid level one more time then button it up, test drive and you're done. Easy.

Edited by Dobz

i carnt even get the bloody pan off, the car is only jacked up at the front so i jack stuff all room under there and i just got under ready to remove it and there is a metal oil line that runs right up against the front of the pan and is blocking me from accessing the pan bolts on that side, it has 2 brackets that goto the pan and i removed those 2 bolts and the line wont budge out of my way

Put the drain plug back in and save up for some more fluid.

You need to lift the whole car up so you have room to get all the bolts out and bend the offending line out of the way.

I'm pretty sure you know how to do it properly but ...

. Dropping the sump on the auto box will only yield around 1 or 2 litres but at least then you can clean the fiter (its steel) and pan and then put it back together. then take off a hose from the transmssion oil cooler and run the engine until you have collected a couple of litres. Stop the engine and pour 2L of new atf down the dipstick (for the auto trans ) and repeat til the oil comes out clean. Could take 10 to 12 Litres.