SAU Community

Garrett G Series

I was talking to Scott & Dom Rigoli at insight after having my car tweaked (when news of Garrett folding) just came out. Which i brought up during conversation, which got us talking about G series stuff. Dom said he had a customer S15 that he built running a G25 550.. He wasn't overly impressed by how it drove. Car made 300-320kw from memory. But he said it really didn't do much before 4000rpm. He said once it was on it was nice but took a while to wake up. 

I've recently finished 2 G series cars and I'm hanging for them to be finished so I can see what they are all about 1st hand. A 2.2L Evo with a G35 900 and a GTR with a dirty 30 and a 1050. 

Will report back when cars are done. 

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 2:24 PM, Kinkstaah said:

This is a Garrett thread, but were people aware Garrett have also mentioned maximum shaft speeds the entire time? It's just that BW were more open about it. Everything ultimately has a limit. The G25 also has a speed sensor option as well... and I think it was just BW pioneering putting a sensor in there for people to use that lead to people being mindful of it and then viewing it as a limitation..

I'd personally pick a G25 purely for packaging, seriously. Heat and lines and shit is also a thing!
119177906_517875762400901_4761404719405588439_n.jpg.5d236807fb9d6e20bfb08cc3b2fd586f.jpg

This is a 400+ rwkw SR20. I mean you'd have to have a pretty damn good reason to argue for anything else than a G Series in a modified road car right now where you have to consider space at all, for any reason.

Heat & lines? Well I disagree, I can vouch that the oil drain was a nightmare to run in an EFR7670 w/ 6 boost manifold , required some custom welding of a drain but aside from that, there is absolutely NO issues with heat. The big rear EFR housing keeps the whole setup only mildly sunkissed after a good belting, as opposed to scorching hot like other turbos !!!

I couldn't really care about having LOTS of room, because do you care about that when you're getting whoosh noises from 2000rpm EFR response? EFR's are the George foreman of turbos and nothing else comes close!!!!

Sure there's not that much space but if you want to be the big daddy you need a big daddy turbo. On the other hand, put your hand on a small housing Garrett after some punchy driving and you'll get third degree burns.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, BakemonoRicer said:

On the other hand, put your hand on a small housing Garrett after some punchy driving and you'll get third degree burns.

Go downstairs, start your car and put your hand on the turbine housing at idle. Please take a video. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Not exactly an rb but I have a g35-900 going on an s55 at the moment which should be running at the end of the month.

Won't be anything crazy but was hoping for 500rwkw or so with plenty of mid range.

Stock motor just rod bolts but they do have dual vanos plus fairly high comp standard.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 6:32 PM, Butters said:

So thoughts on the g35-1050 rating then ?   ... Hawkins rear wheel I think was 880hp with the g35-1050 and that was with the biggest rear housing. 

880hp at the wheels + 15% loss = ~1012 flywheel so its not all that off.  Do you know if a turbo speed sensor was used?

On 10/7/2020 at 6:45 PM, burn4005 said:

It's real flow is 90-95lb/min corrected so 900-950hp in old money turbo ratings 

the issue is nobody uses engine dynos.  So every drivetrain combination , every dyno and every correction factor will spit some result out that will not agree with the other HP calculations.  and turbo manufacturers can not accurately guesstimate what that %loss will be across a wide spectrum of vehicles

On 10/7/2020 at 10:29 AM, Lithium said:

I'm not so surprised about the G30, but I mentioned the G35 - which is what this discussion is about. 

sorry i mis-read your post

On 10/10/2020 at 1:51 AM, Mick_o said:

Dom said he had a customer S15 that he built running a G25 550.. He wasn't overly impressed by how it drove. Car made 300-320kw from memory. But he said it really didn't do much before 4000rpm. He said once it was on it was nice but took a while to wake up

do you know what turbine housing was used on this S15?  In my experience sr20's are challenging.  Yes they tend to take a while to wake up and dont love high flowing turbines... unless you swap to the sr20ve head 😈

On 10/10/2020 at 6:43 AM, BakemonoRicer said:

put your hand on a small housing Garrett after some punchy driving and you'll get third degree burns.

ummm

On 10/12/2020 at 12:11 AM, reaper said:

Not exactly an rb but I have a g35-900 going on an s55 at the moment which should be running at the end of the month.

Won't be anything crazy but was hoping for 500rwkw or so with plenty of mid range.

Stock motor just rod bolts but they do have dual vanos plus fairly high comp standard.

interesting you are replacing the S55 twins with the undivided single turbo - please post up once it is running.  interested to hear your feedback on the setup

On 10/11/2020 at 5:10 PM, ActionDan said:

Speaking off, I had nfi they we'd declared bankruptcy. 

Easy way to be rid of that debt from the Honeywell split though.

This is a precarious situation to be certain, but you nailed it.  Honeywell saddled the Garrett Advancing Motion entity with unruly liabilities.  Garrett may be even more interesting once this public entity is taken private.  Garrett turbochargers may benefit in the end 

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

2 hours ago, Full-Race Geoff said:

Interesting you are replacing the S55 twins with the undivided single turbo - please post up once it is running.  interested to hear your feedback on the setup

I dislike the sound of the twins a lot which is the main reason for the change. I'm sure it'll still be plenty responsive.

15 minutes ago, reaper said:

I dislike the sound of the twins a lot which is the main reason for the change. I'm sure it'll still be plenty responsive.

Just as long as your manifold design still keeps the pulses separated then you'll be still good.

Still gains to be had on any I6 with a proper twin scroll manifold into a single scroll, this is evident with people grinding out the split in the RB25 manifolds because broscience tells them it "flows" more and losing heaps of low down.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone heard anything good bad or otherwise about G25 internal gate stuff?

S15 SR20, stock bottom end, Kelford 266/272, springs, retainers etc. Street car only, looking for 220-270kw roughly. Stock 6 speed and cant be f**ked changing the box. I actually really like the 6 speed.

I have a GTX2860G2 on my S13 track car and the thing absolutely f**king rips. I love it. No lag and instant power, easy to drive.

But on this car i am looking at G25-550 IWG version. Really struggled to find any info about IWG stuff so hoping Geoff may have some first hand experiance. I am no turbo wizard so i will stick to basic questions. Car will be getting long runner low mount V band hypertune manifold. How much lag difference will there be compared to a GTX2867 roughly?

I didn't realise that a 550 could relatively easily make 320-350kw on an SR20 which is way more than i want, leading me to think that it will be too laggy for my personal preference.

My brain says stay stock manifold and stick another GTX2860 on it as it ticks all the boxes for power goals and responsiveness, my heart says have a look at the new G25 stuff.

On 09/07/2021 at 9:08 AM, iruvyouskyrine said:

S15 SR20, stock bottom end, Kelford 266/272, springs, retainers etc. Street car only, looking for 220-270kw roughly. Stock 6 speed and cant be f**ked changing the box. I actually really like the 6 speed.

I have a GTX2860G2 on my S13 track car and the thing absolutely f**king rips. I love it. No lag and instant power, easy to drive.

GTX2860 Gen 2 will spin 270kW on E85 :)

I tuned one not long ago (S15, Tomei Poncams v2, Supertech springs, usual bolt ons), put about 1.6bar of boost through it.

yeah my bone stock s13 engine makes 250kw so i know they are capable. Just new shiny G series and V band would be nice, i just get the feeling that even the 550 is going to be slightly too big for my goals. Any rough idea on spool time compared to GTX2867G1/G2?

• Like 1

Not quite what you are after as this is a straight back to back between an old GT2871 (not GTX) and an external gate G25-550, but it might give you something of an idea?

spacer.png

Engine is a stock SR20. This wasn't pushed as hard as it could go, could only put 1.5bar into it as the customer was still running the internal map sensor on his PS2000.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:08 PM, iruvyouskyrine said:

Anyone heard anything good bad or otherwise about G25 internal gate stuff

Ive been very impressed with the G25 IWG.  Its essentially a higher flowing "bigger" turbo than GTX2860. it has lower turbine wheel inertia and improved bearings.  so I'd expect overall time to torque and transient response to be comparable to the GTX2867 with higher efficiency across the board

On 7/9/2021 at 7:50 AM, iruvyouskyrine said:

new shiny G series and V band would be nice, i just get the feeling that even the 550 is going to be slightly too big for my goals.

if youre getting a new vband manifold, the 0.72 iwg is a great setup.  i'd probably take that gamble.  but understandably it may be larger than you're looking for to save the 6 speed

• Like 1

I seem to remember there being a T25/28 flanged version of the integral wastegate G25turbine housing . I don't think the AR ratio was very high but I suppose if you want early turbine response it could be worth a look .

Yep only 0.49 AR .

https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-HSG-508&Category_Code=GTHG25

Edited by discopotato03

Thanks guys,

Just went for a drive in a mates S15. Stock engine with a GTX2867 0.72 V band. It was not as bad as i thought it would be but certainly a difference to my 2860. If the G25-550 is the same response then i think i can live with as a daily driver.

Although my engine has no VCT, Kelford 264/272 so that will make a difference, but im running a 3.9 diff rather than his 3.7

spacer.png

• Like 1

No real data as such but the 2 G series cars id piped up have both already ditched them lol.

2.2L evo with a G35 900 .83 rear made 500kw but was quite lazy. Evo has gone to a 9280 1.45. Results are yet to come. 

3L GTR with a G35 1050 1.21 rear made 630kw The GTR went to a 6875 PTE and the PTE Chopped it absolutely everywhere and made quite a bit more grunt! 

I have a dynosheet somewhere but CBF finding it 🤣

On 11/07/2021 at 8:56 PM, Mick_o said:

No real data as such but the 2 G series cars id piped up have both already ditched them lol.

2.2L evo with a G35 900 .83 rear made 500kw but was quite lazy. Evo has gone to a 9280 1.45. Results are yet to come. 

3L GTR with a G35 1050 1.21 rear made 630kw The GTR went to a 6875 PTE and the PTE Chopped it absolutely everywhere and made quite a bit more grunt! 

I have a dynosheet somewhere but CBF finding it 🤣

👍

7C323100-E85C-4C91-AFE4-CC2D9FF03C11.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/07/2021 at 12:28 PM, iruvyouskyrine said:

Although my engine has no VCT, Kelford 264/272 so that will make a difference, but im running a 3.9 diff rather than his 3.7

Could always pop in a cam gear and advance the intake by a few degrees to make it fun again, but at the same time that would aid in grenading your 6 speed faster lol