SAU Community

Garrett G Series

10 hours ago, LaurelPWR said:

Another SR20 result looking very strong and promising!

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

Looks strong indeed. And these are just the 550's. I am REALLY tempted to try a 660 on my track car. But I REALLLLLLLLY Loved the 8374.

5 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

It's a hubber so 468hp lol.. 

If it was a Mustang inertia dyno then 520hp would probably be 350hp real HP lol

Probably actually closer to 450hp/337kw in Dyno Dynamics world - which is still solid!

Fwiw, Mustangs actually don't tend to read a lot happier than Mainlines

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my aging HKS 2530 turbo on my stockish RB25 R33 and a colleague recommended looking at the Garrett G series.

I did a search in the "RB25 Turbo Upgrade, All Dyno Results" page for "Garrett G" but didn't get any hits.

I'm looking for a streetable turbo for an R33GTST with a NEO motor - around 280 RWKW with good response.

My current HKS2530 makes a bit over 230kW.

(edit: P98, 555 injectors, Power FC, FMIC but return pipe, hard intake pipe, Walbro fuel pump)

I was previously looking at the Hypergear ATR45 with the ball bearing CHRA, but my colleague is recommending a "G series" for power and response...preferably a direct swap with my low mount HKS2530 (IWG etc).

Is a "G series" the go?

cheers

Mike

Edited by mikel
clarification

9 hours ago, mikel said:

I'm looking for a streetable turbo for an R33GTST with a NEO motor - around 280 RWKW with good response.

My current HKS2530 makes a bit over 230kW.

(edit: P98, 555 injectors, Power FC, FMIC but return pipe, hard intake pipe, Walbro fuel pump)

I was previously looking at the Hypergear ATR45 with the ball bearing CHRA, but my colleague is recommending a "G series" for power and response...preferably a direct swap with my low mount HKS2530 (IWG etc).

Is a "G series" the go?

cheers

Mike

G25-550 with .72a/r housing would probably be hard to beat for that kind of target, the trick is it wouldn't be a direct swap.  There is no T3 internally gated option, the oil/water lines are different to the old GT-series turbos etc-  there would need to be custom fabrication needed to make it work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lithium said:

G25-550 with .72a/r housing would probably be hard to beat for that kind of target, the trick is it wouldn't be a direct swap.  There is no T3 internally gated option, the oil/water lines are different to the old GT-series turbos etc-  there would need to be custom fabrication needed to make it work.

Thanks Lithium,

The oil/water lines don't sound like that big an issue, but no IWG for the T3 flange sounds like a new exhaust manifold and maybe dump pipe is required whichever way I go to fit a G25-550 to my RB25?

• stay with a T3 flange G turbo which would require an external wastegate, so new manifold and new dump
  • go to another flange for the G turbo that has an IWG (I'm not sure what those options are) - which won't mount to my existing exhaust manifold, so either a new exhaust manifold, or maybe an adapter plate, with fabrication to make the dump fit

It all sounds a long way from an easy fit to get a G25-550 to work on my RB25 - as much as I've lusted after a 6Boost manifold with an external 'gate for years...realistically a lot of work/cost compared to a direct swap for my HKS2530...

...I realise this is the G series thread, so an "off topic" question, but what "close to direct swap" options are there for an old HKS2530 that provide good response and around 250-280 RWKW on a NEO RB25?

cheers

Mike

1 hour ago, mikel said:

Thanks Lithium,

The oil/water lines don't sound like that big an issue, but no IWG for the T3 flange sounds like a new exhaust manifold and maybe dump pipe is required whichever way I go to fit a G25-550 to my RB25?

• stay with a T3 flange G turbo which would require an external wastegate, so new manifold and new dump
  • go to another flange for the G turbo that has an IWG (I'm not sure what those options are) - which won't mount to my existing exhaust manifold, so either a new exhaust manifold, or maybe an adapter plate, with fabrication to make the dump fit

It all sounds a long way from an easy fit to get a G25-550 to work on my RB25 - as much as I've lusted after a 6Boost manifold with an external 'gate for years...realistically a lot of work/cost compared to a direct swap for my HKS2530...

...I realise this is the G series thread, so an "off topic" question, but what "close to direct swap" options are there for an old HKS2530 that provide good response and around 250-280 RWKW on a NEO RB25?

cheers

Mike

If not going for G series, then EFR 7163 or 7670 would be the obvious choices to fit the above criteria, no?  More power potential than asked for, but excellent characteristics in all other dimensions.

If not going for G series, then EFR 7163 or 7670 would be the obvious choices to fit the above criteria, no?  More power potential than asked for, but excellent characteristics in all other dimensions.
7163 would be a goer. All the efr series need a t3->t4 adapter of some kind.

Perhaps that can be done with the G series, they are physically much smaller too.

10 hours ago, mikel said:

the T3 flange sounds like a new exhaust manifold and maybe dump pipe is required whichever way I go to fit a G25-550 to my RB25?

Sorry my wording wasn't careful enough, I assumed you would only be considering T3 internal gated as it would need no fabrication so only referred to that - but the G25s do not have a T3 flanged option at all.   ANY G25 you went for would need a custom manifold or at least a flange adapter just to bolt up to the engine, before you get into dump pipes etc etc.

8 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

7163 would be a goer. All the efr series need a t3->t4 adapter of some kind.

Perhaps that can be done with the G series, they are physically much smaller too.

EFR7064 and EFR7670 both have a T3 internal gated option, one of the cars I tune runs an EFR7064 on the stock exhaust manifold with no spacer - makes a bit over 280kw @ hubs on 98 with very impressive response.

The G25's are vband aren't they? Is it feasible to have a vband welded onto a stock manifold?

EFR would be great in a T3 internal gated option. Given you have confirmation they fit, its well worth it if you are taking aim at 280kw. I would wager the 7670 is a bit big for that, but it gives you plenty of headroom and there's really nothing wrong with running a turbo at 80% instead of 99.99999%.

If the 7064 makes the power then really thats another option. Having owned an EFR then I can't say you'll be disappointed moving up to that from a older 2530. You'll be very very happy indeed.

• 2 months later...

I will be putting a G25-660 0.92 on my RB26 soon.

My inspiration was my missus' 25 neo with a GT3076r 0.82. makes 297kw on 19psi. Thing is a torque monster. (9.5:1 probably helps)

The g25 660 with the 0.92 looks comparable to the GT3076r but seems to have the edge in turbine flow, compressor flow and spool. 

Will be interesting with stock unopened 25+ year old RB26. Breathes pretty heavily but doesn't use a noticeable amount of oil. Compression on No. 4 is 130psi, rest are 140. Probably wont push it past 20psi just to keep it together. Has been making 270kw for last 5 years with 34 factory twins. If i get a year out of it I will be happy.

Have all the goodies ready to go, everything is a little overkill with room to improve when I build a motor

g25 660 0.92 from ATS 

6boost mani

50mm gate

ID1050x

Nistune

pmas hpx-n1

3.5" turbo back

3/8 PTFE fuel lines/filter/reg/rail sized to suite E85. Will be tuned on 98 only  for now. 

Turbo2.jpg

• Like 7

On 4/12/2019 at 6:41 AM, Phat_Toni said:

My inspiration was my missus' 25 neo with a GT3076r 0.82. makes 297kw on 19psi. Thing is a torque monster. (9.5:1 probably helps)

The g25 660 with the 0.92 looks comparable to the GT3076r but seems to have the edge in turbine flow, compressor flow and spool. 

Will be interesting with stock unopened 25+ year old RB26. Breathes pretty heavily but doesn't use a noticeable amount of oil. Compression on No. 4 is 130psi, rest are 140. Probably wont push it past 20psi just to keep it together. Has been making 270kw for last 5 years with 34 factory twins. If i get a year out of it I will be happy.

Have all the goodies ready to go, everything is a little overkill with room to improve when I build a motor

g25 660 0.92 from ATS 

6boost mani

50mm gate

ID1050x

Nistune

pmas hpx-n1

3.5" turbo back

3/8 PTFE fuel lines/filter/reg/rail sized to suite E85. Will be tuned on 98 only  for now. 

Turbo2.jpg

I'm waiting for dyno and movie :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 12:41 PM, Phat_Toni said:

g25 660 0.92 from ATS 

6boost mani

50mm gate

ID1050x

Nistune

pmas hpx-n1

3.5" turbo back

Turbo2.jpg

Please get as much info from dyno as possible. Boost and torque with RPM scale :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone seen any details about the T4 twin scroll integral waste gate housings that are said to be available for these G turbos .
A .

From what I can see they only available in 0.92ar t4 [emoji848]

18 hours ago, discopotato03 said:

Has anyone seen any details about the T4 twin scroll integral waste gate housings that are said to be available for these G turbos .

A .

Seen nothing at all :(

Still a bit dark that the G30 & G35 have seemingly been considered the least relevant for release when they are the most interesting, at least to me.