SAU Community

Does the 25GT skyline have a good build quality?

I’m looking for a good fun P plate car in Victoria. 

I have settled on getting a Skyline 25GT, Sedan, Manual. But my friends are telling me to watch out for the build quality, as it’s a cheap Japanese sports car. It sells for 12,000 at 150,000kms. I’m not sure if I should get it or not. Or just go with a boring everyday driver.

I want increase it’s per with a couple of basic mods such as new exhaust system, cold air intake, ect. But I don’t know if I should do it or not. 

Any advice on a good 5 seater fun car?

I have both cars in the family, the R34 25GT we've had since 2009 (60,000kms), now has 130,000kms, besides O2 sensors and coilpacks we have not had to replace anything other than general servicing.

It's true the DC2R is much more of a sports car (1000kgs, Recaros, 8400rpm redline, much more body bracing), but being a thoroughbred it will need more maintenance as they are 15yo+ cars.  Our one has cost a small fortune to keep going (suspension, bushes/arms/mounts, oil leaks, electrics etc.)

I dare say it'd be harder to find a DC2R in good nick than a N/A R34 these days, and for a cruiser (what you do the most of on your Ps) the 34 is a nicer/cooler car.

25GT sedans are worth 6k at best. The other 6k is the p-plater tax. I would pick up a tidy v36 sedan for the same money, if I was after a jap import anyway, but plenty of other options out there