SAU Community

Sydney driving stupidity

PranK

Driving in Gold Coast isn't that bad IMO. Of course you get to see idiots everytime you're out driving, but try driving in China!!

Came back to China couple months ago, and first night out almost smashed by a taxi who didn't give way to me.

Think of the number of times you would see crazy drivings in a day in OZ, and triple that is what you would encounter in 20 minutes in China.

70% of people just don't give a fk about other road users. Not to mention that the actual speed you get to drive will always be 20km/h below speed limit...sigh:mellow:

I assume it is because according to Leg Ham with Cheese man over there that Orange is full of cooked folks.
Nah its like the middle aged women.
They indicate right, which I guess is to show they're entering the intersection, then indicate left before they exit the intersection. But they're f**king going straight so the person opposite them doesn't see the left indicator. It's retarded.

On 11/17/2017 at 3:03 PM, Birds said:

Amsterdam more than makes up for it with idiotic/arrogant cyclists who will crash into you just to prove a point, i.e. that they have right of way.

Absolutely true. One of the works mates got run over by a guy on a scooter haha.

Try being a road worker f**k you get to see the worst of everyone, taxis will start beeping at the guy with the stop/slow sign cause they think it will make them turn it faster,

people drive down the wrong side of the road and then the rest of the sheep follow and almost cause head on accidents, 

people that can't read signs and drive onto the job site and f**k the new road surface we have only just put down and that's just the tip of the ice berg

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 7:57 PM, PARTYNEXTDAY said:

Driving in Gold Coast isn't that bad IMO. Of course you get to see idiots everytime you're out driving, but try driving in China!!

Came back to China couple months ago, and first night out almost smashed by a taxi who didn't give way to me.

Think of the number of times you would see crazy drivings in a day in OZ, and triple that is what you would encounter in 20 minutes in China.

70% of people just don't give a fk about other road users. Not to mention that the actual speed you get to drive will always be 20km/h below speed limit...sigh:mellow:

that's only fair when you go from a city with a population of 500,000 to one with 20 million (assuming Beijing)...

Two big issues I see:
- Motorways all converge towards CBD in Sydney. They should have build a ring-type motorway system so traffic can flow around and people can get off at multiple locations. Of course that requires foresight/long term planning.

- Better public transport. Yes it's hard, but if you start building one tram line down George street in 2016, you've already failed as a town planner in the 1980's.

15 minutes ago, junkie said:

They had tram lines all over the city as far back as the 1800's then all got ripped up... only to be rebuilt again. Insanity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

I believe that, why would you rip up existing electric street cars (trams) and replace them with diesel burning buses in the city? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

45 minutes ago, junkie said:

They had tram lines all over the city as far back as the 1800's then all got ripped up... only to be rebuilt again. Insanity

Actually they didn't even get ripped up, they just got covered over with asphalt 

There's so many times I wish hook turns were considered normal.

I would MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH prefer to do a hook turn to turn right at every intersection, I hate that waiting in the middle of the intersection trying to turn right as everyone tries to beat the yellow across etc. Let me sit there and do a 90 degree when the light goes green. It's just a better way and I reckon it'd avoid accidents with people trying to beat their respecetive light. (whether turning right, or going straight)

Best way to avoid accidents is to remove the dumb meatbags behind the wheel (a.k.a. fully autonomous vehicles, but we don't have the roads for them). Operating a complex 1.5t machine should not be taken lightly, yet people are licensed to drive quote easily (as we've all experienced), without retesting.

• 2 weeks later...