SAU Community

Upgraded Fuel System Questions

WantGTR

4 minutes ago, WantGTR said:

you bastards lol, i was 50/50 about this, knowing full well about the possible scenarios if i didnt upgrade. in anycase, RHDJapan will be getting yet another order from me.

Haha good man! ?

The added expense now will save you later on mate. ?

im running a similar setup to this. 

Taarks surge tank with twin walbro 460 pumps staged ( DON'T RUN BOTH PUMPS FULLTIME )

255 walbro in tank.

turbosmart 1200 fpr

aeroflow big filter to rail

twin feed plasmaman rail 

using only hardline due to the corrosive nature of e85, 2x  y blocks. oneway valve on the staged pump. running factory  fuel lines

20171125_142657.jpg

20171125_142714.jpg

20171125_142749.jpg

20171125_142758.jpg

20171125_142805.jpg

• Like 2

^^Nice.

Hows the stock alternator holding up lol?

i was considering the Taarks one. i think that surge is a tiny bit bigger than the raceworks. raceworks was a touch cheaper but didnt come with fittings so they are probably the same price. 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other i guess.

Yes pumps will be staged.

There is teflon lined hose which is rated for e85, that is what ill be using. i do like hard lines but ill end up making the bends all wonky and thats not gonna look good lol.

havent tested it yet  as im waiting for my turbo and ecu.

but am using power cables from a falcon or territory  and earth strap can pickup from wreakers for like $20. i think the alt will hang in there. hahhaha also running elec fans 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bilk06169 said:

20171125_142714.jpg

20171125_142749.jpg

I like that a lot.  I'd be finding a way to put nylon or similar brace blocks between those lines to clamp them together, and then brace at least a couple of the longer ones to something rigid to prevent them from vibrating until they crack.  It will happen eventually on those ones on the surge tank.  Brace them out near the bends and avoid the E85 shower.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of staged pumps, especially with ethanol. Seen enough he said/she said where the 2nd pump giving up prematurely. Also, if your regulator isn't up to task you will get a spike in pressure when the 2nd pump kicks in.

Having said that, I also don't like the idea of running both pumps full time due to heat.

For these reasons, I run both my pumps (edit: not sequentially, derr) in parallel via a 100amp solid state relay, off PWM from the ecu (G4+). It works fantastically. 

Edited by MagicMikeZ32
  • Like 1

Bilk, you're running twin walbro 460's down a stock hardline using the quick connect fittings at the tank hat?

the internal diameter of the hardline is probably only 6.5mm.

that sounds extremely restrictive to me

also, the only time I'd use staged pumps is with a fuel pressure sensor with an ECU that did injector delta pressure correction and a cutout function if it got too low.

I've got a bit of a frankenstein setup, running the following

holley boostapump runs normal voltage on 98 fuel, switches to 17.5v under boost when ethanol >10%

continental FPCM pump controller (from range rover/aston martin) takes a 100hz pwm control signal from ecu and produces a 20khz pwm pump driver

Pierburg L3LM screw pump (flows 430lph at 80psi - 17.5v)

powerhouse racing fuel tank hat with speedflow -8 supply and -6 return

Sard Jet Pump for saddle tank (much higher flow capacity to stock one)

dual holley hydramats in the tank, with magnets holding to floor, one is 15x3" straight (located where stock sock goes) and a 15x8" cross located in drivers side saddle. this covers most of the drivers side saddle floor.

rail return splits and flows back onto both hydramats to keep them wet. I am HOPING this totally eliminates needing a surge setup, looks totally stock, pump is quieter than the nismo due to being a screw instead of a vane and will do 500awkw, but we shall see!

Edited by burn4005

5 hours ago, burn4005 said:

Bilk, you're running twin walbro 460's down a stock hardline using the quick connect fittings at the tank hat?

the internal diameter of the hardline is probably only 6.5mm.

that sounds extremely restrictive to me

also, the only time I'd use staged pumps is with a fuel pressure sensor with an ECU that did injector delta pressure correction and a cutout function if it got too low.

I've got a bit of a frankenstein setup, running the following

holley boostapump runs normal voltage on 98 fuel, switches to 17.5v under boost when ethanol >10%

continental FPCM pump controller (from range rover/aston martin) takes a 100hz pwm control signal from ecu and produces a 20khz pwm pump driver

Pierburg L3LM screw pump (flows 430lph at 80psi - 17.5v)

powerhouse racing fuel tank hat with speedflow -8 supply and -6 return

Sard Jet Pump for saddle tank (much higher flow capacity to stock one)

dual holley hydramats in the tank, with magnets holding to floor, one is 15x3" straight (located where stock sock goes) and a 15x8" cross located in drivers side saddle. this covers most of the drivers side saddle floor.

rail return splits and flows back onto both hydramats to keep them wet. I am HOPING this totally eliminates needing a surge setup, looks totally stock, pump is quieter than the nismo due to being a screw instead of a vane and will do 500awkw, but we shall see!

with 6an supply to the surge and as well as a 8an return to the surge surely that would be enough to keep the surge full?

best part is his stock fuel gauge will work with that fuel hat. 

your fuel system seems to have a lot going on, what was the reason you didnt want a surge?

3 hours ago, sneakey pete said:

Twin intank pumps using the Frenchy's kit are the way to go for any kind of street car

Not cheap but by the time you do a proper surge tank setup you'd be coming off with a similar cost... and a setup in your boot.

I was considering the frencys setup but it was significantly dearer than the raceworks surge and youre doing all new lines anyway.

Mounting a surge is a bit annoying but dont really care about losing a corner in the boot as its not an everyday car.

Am a fan of the frenchy setup though.

1 hour ago, sneakey pete said:

I guess with raceworks you'd be up around 900 bucks instead of 1250 or so wouldn't you, so a little cheaper I suppose?

according to kudos 1805+post or am i missing something?

50 minutes ago, MagicMikeZ32 said:

The raceworks one looks cheap

it can look how it wants if it does the job what difference does it make? or should i have splashed out and bought a Radium or AI for the likes/follows?

Didn't realise you had purchased already. Agree it can look how it looks as long as it does the job. For me if I was going it, I'd pay the little extra for the nice stuff :) I don't have anything against raceworks, I use a shitheap of their fittings and lines in my car. Something as prominent as a surge tank in the boots tho... ;)

Edited by MagicMikeZ32

Thought i might add this here as its sort of relevant, picked up the bypass idea here too for the flex sensor so thanks guys.

I wont be using a surge tank as my car is street only so dont think ill need it.

Im using a walbro 460, i may need to run a second pump and when the time comes it will be mounted intank as well.

Using the standard hat with bulk head fittings for the cable and will be putting in a dash 8 fitting through the lid and new line up to the rail, ill put a T piece in the back of the fuel reg and run one to the flex sensor and back to the standard return line and the other will be returned to the tank using the factory feed line. Hope i have explained ok as it is usually lost in translation from brain to mouth, or finger in this case.

I hope it will make everything work and i have not overlooked anything.

20171202_131244_resized(1).jpg

Screenshot_20171202-154918_resized(1).png