SAU Community

Alpha Omega Evo 350mm w/ Enkei RPF1 17x9.5+18 Fitment Question

Frat32

Hey,

Does anyone have any experience with the fitment of the Alpha Omega 350mm Evo Brembos onto an R32 GTR with Enkei RPF1's in 17x9.5+18?

I've seen standard Evo's running 17" RPF1's and they clear, but obviously they have the 320mm rotors. 

I'm pretty certain the caliper will clear the spokes, just unsure with the barrel clearance with the bigger rotor as they don't look as big as the TE37s and LMGT4s in 17".

Thanks, George.

Edited by Frat32
typo

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

I can't see it happening....330s barely fit under 17s.  It 's an issue with how far the caliper sticks out from the rotor

Hmmm...I was looking at the D2 330mm 8-pots as another option also because of the smaller size and good reviews (and of course the price).

I seen you have them on a 32 track car and Stagea. 

Reading through a few threads I found from years back you seemed quite happy with them.

Do you still run them and like them?

What pads and rotors do you use as replacements on your Stagea?

It's for a street R32 GTR that currently has the stock Sumitomo calipers with around 260wkw.

Thanks, George.

Edited by Frat32

I had a 17" RPF1 off my car the other day and happened to submit to curiosity and measured the ID of the barrel. It was a rough measurement (can't do it accurately with a steel tape!) and it was a few weeks ago and I have flown around the world a couple times since......but I recall it being ~370mm.  There's no way you're fitting a 350mm disc in there and have room for caliper outboard of that and have 3mm of clearance.  I'd guess on a 20mm clash at best.

• Thanks 2

I've very happy with the ATTKD 330s...I've got a set on the Cima as well now. The ones on the stagea (which also has 260kw) have been there since 2007.  I've replaced pads on a couple of them including race car (winmax from racebrakes) and stagea (replacement original ones from just jap), and I replaced the discs/rings on the stagea with replacements from justjap a year or 3 back as well. If they made those for the Titan I'd put these brakes on them too, they are excellent value upgrades. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

I had a 17" RPF1 off my car the other day and happened to submit to curiosity and measured the ID of the barrel. It was a rough measurement (can't do it accurately with a steel tape!) and it was a few weeks ago and I have flown around the world a couple times since......but I recall it being ~370mm.  There's no way you're fitting a 350mm disc in there and have room for caliper outboard of that and have 3mm of clearance.  I'd guess on a 20mm clash at best.

Yeah, I didn't expect them to fit. The RPF1s have a pretty big step/lip down to the outer edge of the rim from the spokes. When you look at them next to a 17" TE37 or LMGT4 the barrel looks very small in comparison (and they don't clear by a huge amount). 

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

I've very happy with the ATTKD 330s...I've got a set on the Cima as well now. The ones on the stagea (which also has 260kw) have been there since 2007.  I've replaced pads on a couple of them including race car (winmax from racebrakes) and stagea (replacement original ones from just jap), and I replaced the discs/rings on the stagea with replacements from justjap a year or 3 back as well. If they made those for the Titan I'd put these brakes on them too, they are excellent value upgrades. 

Thanks for the info Duncan. 

I think I'll have a look into the 330mm kit. Just didn't want to be held back for rotor/pad choice in the future, but it sounds like the rotors/pads you get are more than capable for some drives up the mountains. Plus I read that they are interchangeable with Ferodo, Hawke, EBC and AP.  

Edited by Frat32

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 10:39 PM, GTSBoy said:

For completeness and clarity, I had the wheels off again today so checked that measurement.

The main barrel is ~390mm, and the bit of the barrel immediately closest to the spokes is ~380mm.  That smaller section is from the spokes back towards the rim centreline, about as far as the hub face on the 8" rims I have.  No idea what it looks like on 9.5s with different offset.  It might be the clearance limit on a brake caliper, or it might not.

Either way, they were a little larger than I remembered, but not huge.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 9:13 PM, GTSBoy said:

For completeness and clarity, I had the wheels off again today so checked that measurement.

The main barrel is ~390mm, and the bit of the barrel immediately closest to the spokes is ~380mm.  That smaller section is from the spokes back towards the rim centreline, about as far as the hub face on the 8" rims I have.  No idea what it looks like on 9.5s with different offset.  It might be the clearance limit on a brake caliper, or it might not.

Either way, they were a little larger than I remembered, but not huge.

Thanks for that info. 

Yea - I noticed they have a little step-in close towards the spokes and then widen a little through the rest of the barrel to the inside. All depends on how the adapters mount and the offset of the caliper on whether they will catch that section or not. 

Like you said it may or may not clear, and I think even if it does it'll only be by a few millimetres and I'd rather not run them that close. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update for any future viewers.

Got some 330mm D2 brakes and installed them.

Bolted up nicely; just needed to trim the rotor backing plate and bend it, and take ~5mm off a mounting arm that the factory brake lines bolted to that fouled on the adapter bracket.

Has around 10mm of clearance between the caliper and wheel barrel. 

IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0621.jpg

Edited by Frat32

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2018 at 9:41 PM, Frat32 said:

Bolted up nicely; just needed to trim the rotor backing plate and bend it, and take ~5mm off a mounting arm that the factory brake lines bolted to that fouled on the adapter bracket.

IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0621.jpg

how much difference in the clearance between the spokes and the face of the caliper did you see after install?

Edited by oxford1327
missed a clarifying statement

On 1/3/2018 at 11:41 PM, Frat32 said:

IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0621.jpg

I got 330mm D2s as well. The stock pads wear out fairly quickly on the track but as you say there is a reasonable choice of replacements (not so much with the rings) including Pagid which served me very well.

11 hours ago, Frat32 said:

Spoke clearance is no issue at all - there's heaps of room.

sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg

sorry to be a pain in the proverbial, but could you give a rough indication of how much difference in distance between spokes and the caliper face  if there was any compared to the old calipers?

also I don"t suppose you took a picture of the calipers side by side that shows the thickness of them by any chance? and would you be able to chuck a ruler in there when you have a chance to show the distance from the rotor face to the caliper front face?

if I'm being annoying I apologise and feel free to tell me to naff off....

58 minutes ago, oxford1327 said:

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial, but could you give a rough indication of how much difference in distance between spokes and the caliper face  if there was any compared to the old calipers?

There's got to be less than 5mm difference between these and the stock Sumitomos. I never measured to do a direct comparison but if I had to say, I would say that the D2 calipers are slightly narrower than the stock ones.

When I took the stock brakes off they really felt huge in the hand. The width and weight of them was definitely surprising to me.

The D2 calipers are huge though - the length of them was much bigger than stock...You can see in the photos just how much closer they are to the barrel of the wheel at the top and bottom points. They are heaps lighter than the Sumitomos though.

58 minutes ago, oxford1327 said:

Also I don"t suppose you took a picture of the calipers side by side that shows the thickness of them by any chance? and would you be able to chuck a ruler in there when you have a chance to show the distance from the rotor face to the caliper front face?

I don't have any photos of them side by side, or even any real close-ups of the stock calipers in the RPF1's.

I found a few seconds of video though that shows if for a second which may help you see the clearance a little. 

You'll have to try and play/pause a few times so you can see it properly - https://streamable.com/igpwd 

I'll stick a ruler in there tomorrow and post the pic. 

31 minutes ago, Frat32 said:

There's got to be less than 5mm difference between these and the stock Sumitomos. I never measured to do a direct comparison but if I had to say, I would say that the D2 calipers are slightly narrower than the stock ones.

When I took the stock brakes off they really felt huge in the hand. The width and weight of them was definitely surprising to me.

The D2 calipers are huge though - the length of them was much bigger than stock...You can see in the photos just how much closer they are to the barrel of the wheel at the top and bottom points. They are heaps lighter than the Sumitomos though.

I don't have any photos of them side by side, or even any real close-ups of the stock calipers in the RPF1's.

I found a few seconds of video though that shows if for a second which may help you see the clearance a little. 

You'll have to try and play/pause a few times so you can see it properly - https://streamable.com/igpwd 

I'll stick a ruler in there tomorrow and post the pic. 

ok awesome I was hoping you'd say they were narrower the the sumitomo's as that is exactly what I need! the outer diameter is no big concern it is only the inner shoulder of the caliper that I am having issues with for clearance, and if you are able to chuck a picture up of the ruler next to the caliper measuring from the  flat surface or friction face of the rotor to the edge of the caliper would be sensational, that way I can do a comparison of what i have with the Sumitomos that are on the car currently and then the Akebonos that I have coming, to see whether the D2 calipers are skinnier again than the Akebonos.

cheers for assisting and your tolerance hahahaha.

oh and by the way i think you may have those rotors on arse about? the slots should run with the "sweep" towards the rear of the car, as they have directional vanes on the inner webs of the rotor that are designed like a rotary fan to move the air to the outer edge of the disc, I noticed in the picture you have that they appear to be goin in the opposite direction?

45 minutes ago, oxford1327 said:

Oh and by the way i think you may have those rotors on arse about? the slots should run with the "sweep" towards the rear of the car, as they have directional vanes on the inner webs of the rotor that are designed like a rotary fan to move the air to the outer edge of the disc, I noticed in the picture you have that they appear to be goin in the opposite direction?

The direction of the slots in the face of the rotors are not important.

The inner vanes are, as you said, important for cooling, and in this case run in the opposite direction of the slots.

From what I've read, I believe this is so the slots and vanes are cut across each other to ensure strength and uniformity, as if they were cut in the same direction it's possible for a vane and slot to cross/follow (on-top/below) eachother for a significant distance and create a possible weak point which can also be prone uneven (over)heating.

Thanks for the concern though. :1311_thumbsup_tone2: