SAU Community

R32 Retrofit Morimoto Projector but Keep H3C Halogen Bulb

I am currently looking at different options to retrofit R32 headlight with Morimoto projector globe.  Has anyone tried using halogen bulb instead of HID with those globes? 

I have read write-ups posted here using Morimoto mini H1 and FX-R, has anyone tried other Morimoto globes or globes from other brands or other vehicles?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the info!

Actually I want to run halogen instead of HID, and for that I think the only option is to run H1 halogen in the Morimoto globe.

I know for a period of time many vehicles on the market came standard with projector globe and halogen, then HID as optional extra.  My friend's Murano was like that with H11 bulb.  Those vehicles will be my focal point of search.

I have Toyota H11 projectors laying around, which are pretty decent.

You can run an adapter plate (D2S → H1), it's not too shabby with the output. You'll have to make it yourself (something I'll do one day, when I stop being so lazy).

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/showoff/output-shots-beam-pattern-pictures/1440683-md2s-with-h1-halogen

I found with an old Morimoto min H1 (5.0 I think), H1 halogen bulb wouldn't fit in it (makes sense, it's not designed for a halogen bulb, it's designed to take an aftermarket H1 HID bulb). So might as well go D2S :)

Holy cow that is some amazing output with H1 halogen!  I see the OP uses Morimoto MD2S 4.0, but I have difficulty understanding how he made the adapter or washer work.  Can you please explain?

Also, which Toyota H11 projector do you have, out of which car model?

So yeah I asked TRS today and they told me no go with H1 halogen in mini H1.  But seeing how great the result is with H1 halogen in MD2S, not sure there are better options.  Just need to figure out how to mount the MD2S, especially figuring out how to mount it flush.

I have 2010 Auris headlights (called Corolla down here, trying to figure out a retrofit for them). It's pretty much the same as Camry and other Toyota H11 projectors.

Any reason why you don't want to run HID? The Mini H1 is inferior, but smaller than the D2S projectors. No reason to get them as you can fit big projectors in the R32 headlights (like the FX-R). The links above should indicate how easy the Mini D2S or similarly sized projectors can fit.

I want to stay period correct and stay with regular color or 3200k halogen.  I know HID has 3800k that looks really close to halogen, but I still prefer the look of halogen.  I run aftermarket HID in my other cars, but for my R32 I want to stay halogen.

I read the retrofit posted here using FX-R, which is another good choice.  But I have not seen pictures or results of FX-R with halogen, I will stay with the MD2S with proven pictures.  Also the FX-R is an enclosed housing, so I am not sure how well it can deal with the heat from halogen as compared to the open housing of MD2S.

The OP said he used 2 adapters each bulb, but looking at the fitted picture I am not sure I see two.  And I guess he removed the actual bulb, slide over an adapter, then clamp it back?  And then he mentioned spring and o-ring which confuses me even more.

These adapters come from a 225mm Auxlight named NBB Alpha 225, they can be bought as a spare part here in Sweden, you will need 4 of them, one to put over the bulb to hold it down, and then you need to get rid of the spring that holds the xenon bulb, I used an O-ring instead of the spring, a ground wire needs to be squezed between the two adapters.

FX-R is OEM-like spring-to-bowl mounting. The Minis have some weird lock ring mounting because of the threaded shaft (which I like to avoid as it's rubbish).

Heat won't be an issue, it's the UV that kills the bowls. Use a good bulb (Philips or Osram) and you'll be fine.