SAU Community

My E90 BMW 330i

PranK

14 hours ago, GeeDog said:

Just spoke to him, and he said that somewhere around $75 rings a bell. He bought it a few years ago. I paid an extra $20 or so to get the battery coding module a few months ago. He also bought the OBD adaptor from Carly.

Oh cool. I have a little bluetooth OBD2 thingo, I'll test it with Carly - thanks for the info.

56 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

I use "Torque Lite"

Yep, I have the full version of Torque. Even though my VW used a protocol that nothing could read (unless you spent hundreds of dollars).... 

That seat belt looks like one of the ones in my Commodore. Of course, the Commodore's 1996 vintage... :P 

I do love BMWs though, my first "want" car as a kid was a 635CSi, preferably in JPS racing colours. Maybe one day when the Alzheimers really kicks in I'll get one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hertz Donut said:

That seat belt looks like one of the ones in my Commodore. Of course, the Commodore's 1996 vintage... :P 

I do love BMWs though, my first "want" car as a kid was a 635CSi, preferably in JPS racing colours. Maybe one day when the Alzheimers really kicks in I'll get one.

Oh man, I have such a thing for 635CSi's. Actually, any classic BMW's. 

The other day we set the air recirc setting - default is that it goes back to fresh, but I wanted it to remember the last setting, set the nagging low fuel messages to the lowest km left setting, set the windscreen wipers to complete a sweep when the car is turned off (like every other car I've ever owned does), and disabled the headlight washers.

Previously we changed the light settings when locking & unlocking the car, set a digital speed display on the dash, removed the legal disclaimer on the NAV, coded a new battery, and several other things that I can't think of at the moment.

Carly can also reset service reminders, although this can be done without any outside assistance, using the buttons in the car.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeeDog said:

Mine's ok - it has a "split" glass, where half is normal, and the outer 1/3 or so is convex. As a motorbike rider I mostly do head-checks instead of using the passenger mirror anyway.

Thats funny. I was just telling my brother in law yesterday that I can't change lanes without head checks cause of riding a bike. 

I don't think mine is split. I think I have the wrong mirror in mine. 

Mine has a black vertical line separating the inner 2/3 and the outer 1/3 (maybe it's 3/4 & 1/4). Everything on the car side of the line is flat, the other side of the line is partly convex to give a wide-angle view.

20171218_155503.thumb.jpg.da4aaa8217c9aebf53443bdcdf250d4a.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

It hasn't all been rosy though.

The handling is odd. I believe I'm just a victim of run flats but its taking some getting used to. On a nice flat road its just gorgeous, but when there are ridges and pot holes it can tramline and pull a bit. I have been reading about my options for replacing them with normal tyres and either making room in the boot for a spare or carrying a small compressor + tyre foam stuff incase the worst happens. Prob is the Potenza's on it have SO much life left.

Can anybody else corroborate my run flats experiences?

My chrome window trims are super scratched and scuffed, so I plasti-dipped them black. Looked so shit, was so happy to be able to remove it straight away.

Also, I've found evidence of a terrible repair. So terrible that I'm almost embarresed that I missed this when looking at the car initially (though not nearly bad enough for me to not buy the car.)

The passenger side has had some kind of repair. The doors and bonnet trim gaps are a little off and there is a shit respray job done on the top of the doors. There is a bit of overspray and some paint coming off. The door jams and pillars are all original, so its just panel or paint damage thats been repaired. I'm not sure its worth fixing, but I would like to stop it getting worse, so I might just lay some clear coat on it. What do you think?

The first two pics are damage I did when I bumped it with my polisher, it just ate through. You can see some of the over spray in the third pic, but theres more than that.

20180109_163734.jpg

20180109_163728.jpg

20180109_163723.jpg

20180109_163716.jpg

Hi Prank, congrats on the purchase!

Like you, I’ve recently wandered into BMW ownership with an E90 320i.

Your right about the runflats, I’ve had the same experiences with them. Luckily the previous owner only just replaced them because I will not be buying them when the time comes around, I just can’t justify the price!
You can get runflat “repair” kits(previous owner got one)but it’s not advisable to do so haha

Hi Prank, congrats on the purchase!

Like you, I’ve recently wandered into BMW ownership with an E90 320i.

Your right about the runflats, I’ve had the same experiences with them. Luckily the previous owner only just replaced them because I will not be buying them when the time comes around, I just can’t justify the price!
You can get runflat “repair” kits(previous owner got one)but it’s not advisable to do so haha

Oh I'm happy that you're hating then too (well not happy but relieved) because I was starting to worry about suspension components.

Are you loving the E90?