SAU Community

R33 - Cluster lights dead

Burger

Hi all,

long story short, removed cluster to clean cluster glass and cluster surround, now have only one globe left in the cluster that still works.

Globes work installed in anything else.

Is there anything in particular to look for on the back of the cluster that could cause this or do I start looking at wiring in the car to find the problem?

1. Plugs mated up correctly (pushed in till secure).

2. Fuse

If you didn't play with the wiring I highly doubt that's your issue. Although check for anything that has electrical tape wrapped around the wiring for the cluster.

• Like 1

Are they LEDs or regular globes. LEDs have a polarity so if you took them out to clean it's possible you were just really unlucky putting them back in backwards.

It could also be an incorrectly mated plug to the dash where one of the earths has not lined up properly. Just check the pins are all straight on the plugs and plug them in again

• Like 1

Anonymouse, have checked x2 times, replaced fuse. Only thing with tape is dimmer switch that gets added when they come to Aus. Seems a bit dodgy looking now that you mention it.

Duncan, has regular globes only, plugs look all good, copper tracing on back of cluster looks like new, no tears etc.

Spray some contact cleaner on the circuit board and plugs :blink:. 20yrs old might be something dry.

Each globe should light separately from each other so the fault has to be a common (why I thought a fuse). Earth wire somewhere?

No chance you've damaged the circuit board I hope.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Problem has been solved.

Turns out it was that the dimmer that gets put in during aussie compliance was almost dead, screwing the whole light setup up. New dimmer switch, and everythings good.

• Thanks 1