SAU Community

This coolant hose looks fun to get to...

inmaniac

That hose is a prick to replace [emoji21] i just replaced mine while i had the head off so it was super easy [emoji5] i actually replaced that entire metal coolant line and the rubber hose section with a braided line which can be purchased from most autobarn stores [emoji106]

Ok so I couldn’t find anywhere on a public holiday to get braided hose. Instead, I did find the perfect shaped heater hose for my application! Funnily enough, the hose I used was for the intake manifold of a 1992-1996 Magna. Go figure. 

So, as mentioned in my second post, I’ve opted to completely bypass the original route for this hose. I’ve now run a length of hose from the original source at the back of the intake manifold, down the back of the head neatly tucked away, and I then used rotary tool to cut the hard coolant line to the turbo, slip on the new hose and clamped her up. 

Pictures speak a thousand words. Might not be the ideal solution but it’ll work for me ?

B9174689-7183-4FBA-8773-47CF452AF957.jpeg

2F841ECE-0BB5-4148-91C7-35476C948B9D.jpeg

FF03E44D-BBE7-4988-8C0D-BB277AA34659.jpeg

758228BF-9EC9-4777-8562-2FD2EDFFDF04.jpeg

16B95134-C11E-4B2F-8EBF-2C82D08C918B.jpeg

6E86D5E1-D981-449F-9F26-7A027F8E5FD6.jpeg

After posting, I realised one of the pictures I uploaded was of those hose way in the air when I was fiddling around with placement - it didn’t stay at the top of the bay! :P I was able to route it down behind the head :) 

4 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Did you flare the hard line where you cut it? If not solid chance it will leak

No sir, although I definitely should have! As this is a temporary solution I’ve opted to put a few layers of stretched silicon tape on the end, on which I slid the hose on and it was super tight and only went on with a little bit of rubber grease. I then clamped  her down good. I totally acknowledge this isn’t great long term and I’ll aim to sort out something more permanent when I next have a decent play under the bonnet. 

4 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Good thinking, might be a good idea to wrap the end near the dump pipe with some sort of heat proof material or make a heat shield emoji106.png

Cheers - yeah that’s smart I might see what I can dig up  

fuuarkk.. fun times :(

I've had that split on my current car (old motor) ended up replacing it with EFI hose and ran a braided china-spec ling long dim line to the turbo.

New motor has proper 4-ply eBay silicon hose to the braided water line lololol...

Someone come swap me their BMW 335i for my entire car/motor

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit late, but I replaced that hose on the Stagea (RB25DET NEO) the other week. Prick a job to get out, I used really long nose pliers and long nose bent pliers. To get to the clamp behind the engine I went horizontally from the intake side. I replaced the hose with Gates 8mm universal Z bend from Repco and new clamps.

I bought a seven piece radiator hose kit on Ebay, trying to workout where all these hoses go :/

• Like 1