SAU Community

Silicone blanking caps

iruvyouskyrine

Has anyone successfuly used silicone blanking caps before or know of something better to use?

Deleted the IACV from underneath the RB26 inlet plenum so have some decent size (10mm OD?) air ports that need blanking. Ideally i would have crimped them shut and then run a bead of weld across them to keep them 100% sealed but the manifold is already on now so looking for an easier solution. Thinking basically a silicone blanking cap with a little sealant inside and then either a worm drive hose clamp or a spring hose clamp. Will be running up to 30psi so they will have a fair bit of pressure to be holding back.

Thanks for your help

I've used both silicone and rubber blanking caps without issue (although not at that boost, but I don't think it makes a difference). For that matter I've used all sorts of "whatever I have around in the right size" sealers like 6mm bolts or solid rod to blank off unneeded hoses. I even saw a mechanic using a old oil filter to seal a gtr intake when doing a leak down test. Basically anything the right size that won't crush under a hose clamp

A blanking cap is no more likely to come loose than any hose joint, so whatever hose clamps you use elsewhere will work the same for a blanking cap.

4 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

For simpleicity reasons, RB26 IACV is a f**king mess and more trouble than it's worth i reckon.

Yeah thinking i might just use hose and then an appropriately sized bolt.

What are you doing for idle control?

And are you talking about the iacv or aac valve for both? I'm converting to single throttle body by removing throttle plates and adding vh45 throttle body.

Not sure if I need aac/ iacv as the car is auto

Edited by Griffin
Yes