SAU Community

S1 front driveshaft

zoomzoom

So despite common wisdom here, the transfer case to front diff driveshaft in the stagea is not guaranteed to work the same as the skyline GTR ones.

As per the picture, the GTR one has a larger diameter at the transfer case end. Although the shaft itself fits in and just clears all the extra protrusions on the auto transmission (but it's REALLY tight), the balancing tab on the GTR driveshaft just fouls on the parking lock mechanism.

Not sure if I want to engage in some prybar action just yet in trying to move the parking brake stuff. Just a heads up since I have not seen this issue documented here.

20180111_162108 - Copy.jpg

Interesting. Mine is now manual which means the parking brake is no longer in stock position which may have made a difference.  alternatively if the balancing tab was moved further down the shaft, would it clear?

BTW I can't see in the pic exactly where it is larger...any chance you can add an arrow :)

Bit of a brainfart describing it as a parking brake - I meant the PRND shifter mechanism. Where it connects to the box is very close to the transfer case (also where the driveshaft snags when you try to get it out), its also unmoveable.

If the balancing tab was moved further down it would clear the PRND mechanism, but there's also a few other things that are extremely close. There's an electrical connector just past the PRND mechanism, and after that is a large banjo bolt.

The clearance between the banjo bolt and the shaft is a couple of mm if that, they basically look like they're touching. The PRND mechanism has some give to it, allowing the driveshaft to turn, albeit with the tab tapping against it. I didn't notice it when I turned the wheels manually to inspect the installation, but it showed up when driving. You'd certainly notice if you snagged the balancing tab against the solid banjo bolt.

front driveshafts.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hopefully this week Ill check out a workshop to see if they have any stagea or GTS-4 driveshafts. However I am thinking about experimenting with the one I have anyway to see if the balancing tab can be relocated. That still leaves the problem of the clearance between the 40mm shaft itself and the components on the transmission. What kind of clearances are acceptable or safe? Theoretically the shaft shouldn't move or have runout...but still.

For the curious: I tried to reposition the balancing weight, however any widening of the shaft causes it to interfere with something. Eventually the solution I came up with was to shape a piece of metal to be tack welded to the very end of the shaft where it meets the transfer case end yoke. It was around 15g.

I also zip tied the boot around the PRND cable to prevent the rubber boot sagging onto the shaft when there are bumps. But other than that it just clears the major solid obstacles - only by a couple of mm.

A tentative test drive slowly working up to 100kmh seems to be a success. Can't feel any vibrations that could be obviously attributed to the shaft. No odd noises, nor evidence of the shaft making contact with anything.

So in conclusion, R33 GTR shafts are NOT a drop in affair.

• Like 1

Thanks for closing the loop for autos

BTW I confirmed that 32 GTR driveshaft is the same as your 33 one pictured above (32mm/40mm), and both of the spares I checked have their balancing weight the same distance from the head to clear the clutch slave cylinder on a manual.

My stagea is manual and the gtr driveshaft clears everything including the clutch slave, although there is only about 2mm to the clutch slave bleed nipple. I've not had a clearance issue in 10 years.