SAU Community

R32 GTS-T Rear Diff Question

jlanny

Hey guys,

I hope someone can help me. I'm in the US, and my R32 has been stuck at Nissan because my driver's side output shaft for my axle lacks a c-clamp, so the shaft ever so slightly comes out of my diff. My mechanic is having a hard time finding the right c-clamp to lock the output shaft into the diff. Do you know what compatible vehicles like a 300zx or S13 for instance have the same kind of output shaft that I can snag the correct c-clamp from? Here's a picture of my output shaft too for reference.

20180119_111053_HDR.jpg

Neither the Z32 nor the S13 have the same stuff.  The Z32 turbo is an R230 diff with big 6 stud flanges.  So will not be the same.  The S13 turbo is an R200 like the R32, but has 3x2 bolt flanges.  But I think that the internals parts of the output shafts are same same, so C clips from one should suit the other.

Just now, GTSBoy said:

Neither the Z32 nor the S13 have the same stuff.  The Z32 turbo is an R230 diff with big 6 stud flanges.  So will not be the same.  The S13 turbo is an R200 like the R32, but has 3x2 bolt flanges.  But I think that the internals parts of the output shafts are same same, so C clips from one should suit the other.

Thanks for the info. I believe I found the correct part number for the cir clip. Should be 39600F. It's used on various models including my GTS-T. Hopefully I'm right aha.

What diff centre is in it?  There aren't really any options other than the original stub axles for the original viscous diff centre.  For Nismo diff centres, they have their own stubs that come with them.  For most of the other aftermarket centres, they usually use the original stubs.

I wouldn't have expected that you could fit anything from an R230 into an R200.  The NA Z32s use an R200, no?  In which case their stubs will either be very similar to R32 (if using viscous centres) or otherwise they will be equal length like on NA R32s, just with the 5 bolts instead of the 3x2.

I will admit I'm not being really helpful here because I don't really know which bits are the same or not.  Just pointing out the possibilities.

Just now, GTSBoy said:

What diff centre is in it?  There aren't really any options other than the original stub axles for the original viscous diff centre.  For Nismo diff centres, they have their own stubs that come with them.  For most of the other aftermarket centres, they usually use the original stubs.

I wouldn't have expected that you could fit anything from an R230 into an R200.  The NA Z32s use an R200, no?  In which case their stubs will either be very similar to R32 (if using viscous centres) or otherwise they will be equal length like on NA R32s, just with the 5 bolts instead of the 3x2.

I will admit I'm not being really helpful here because I don't really know which bits are the same or not.  Just pointing out the possibilities.

No I really appreciate the response man. I have no idea which kind of 2-way I have on the car though. The car was imported to the US through a dealer that specializes in bringing in cars from Japan, so there's no way of knowing with diff is on the car at this point. But this is definitely a "stub" output shaft right? 

OK, now you need to put up photos of the centre.  If it's a 2-way, then it could be any of the possible brands (Nismo, Cusco, Kaaz, etc etc).  But if it turns out to be a Nismo, then there's a good chance that you will have the Nismo stubs and they may well need a different circlip to the original ones.

The car is at the dealer on a lift right now, but I think what I really want to know is, can I daily the car without having a c clip for the right side flange? I don't drift, nor do I plan to. The car was obviously drifted/driven aggressively before it made it to the States, but I have no intentions of beating the car that way. Also, I drove the car as it was for 4 months before the technician at Nissan alerted me that I didn't have a c clip on the right side.

Given that after you take the circlips off you usually have a struggle to get the stubs out of the centre anyway.......

Nevertheless, if it is actually loose enough to move in-out on its own, then it won't be good for the spline at the other end to possibly be belting into the hub.

I'm just gonna deal with it. I wish I knew what kind of hardware I was running, but unfortunately I don't =l it drove fine before I took it to the dealer, so I'll just stay on top of irregularities from now on.