SAU Community

Is this R200 an LSD?

jaychen

Can anyone tell me by looking at the photo what type of differential is inside this casing?

I need it to be LSD and 4.111. 

I have been told by the seller that is from an R33. As you can see from the picture it has 5 bolt axles and 4 bolt drive shaft. 

Does the part number on top mean anything or is manually checking the only way to know (i have to drive 2 hours, so would prefer to know before i drive 4hrs round trip and it not be what im looking for). 

d54Oy8y.jpg

What do you mean it's concerning?

Point 1.  If it's from an R33 then it's either 4.11 or 4.08.  Unless you exactly exactly need it to be 4.11, 4.08 is close enough that it won't kill you.

Point 2.  The original R33 GTST LSD is not really an LSD.  It is a viscous LSD, which is an LSD by name only, not buy function.  It's function is to frustrate and depress anyone who has to drive a car equipped with it.  Therefore, you need the diff to have been opened and potentially glooped up with silicone in order for someone to have installed a real LSD.

I suggest you get the clown selling it to open it and send you photos of the numerical stampings on the crownwheel (to tell you the ratio) and a few photos of the pumpkin so you can see if it is open, nearly open (viscous) or a real diff.

Agreed, you need them to take the back off. no matter what it left the factory as, someone has been in there since.

I'll bet there were some R33s that had shorter ratios than 4.11 for instance gts4. The numbers will be on the crown wheel to tell you what the ratio is (needs to be opened)

Also, I note there are no ABS sensors on either the tailshaft or driveshaft outputs. from memory 33 gtst has 3 channel ABS with ABS on the tailshaft so it may not be gtst. I don't know where the gtr abs senders are on a gtr, but I would have thought they were on each driveshaft like r32....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

What do you mean it's concerning?

Point 1.  If it's from an R33 then it's either 4.11 or 4.08.  Unless you exactly exactly need it to be 4.11, 4.08 is close enough that it won't kill you.

Point 2.  The original R33 GTST LSD is not really an LSD.  It is a viscous LSD, which is an LSD by name only, not buy function.  It's function is to frustrate and depress anyone who has to drive a car equipped with it.  Therefore, you need the diff to have been opened and potentially glooped up with silicone in order for someone to have installed a real LSD.

I suggest you get the clown selling it to open it and send you photos of the numerical stampings on the crownwheel (to tell you the ratio) and a few photos of the pumpkin so you can see if it is open, nearly open (viscous) or a real diff.

1) its not actually going into a skyline and my front and centre diffs are 4.111 so i'd like to keep it all the same so as not to deviate from the manufactures specifications. 

2) I see. Thanks for the info mate. 

I know others have done what im attempting to do (albeit in different countries) and most used r32 gtr rear diff/housing. 

Can anyone suggest any other diffs that are 5 bolt, 4.111 and have an LSD? 

It's mainly going to be used in a street car/drag racing application with around 600hp (6466 gen 2 on a 3.2L engine). 

I appreciate the replies 

you just can't guess mate, there were too many versions of r200 diffs and they are not interchangeable. Plus someone has been inside it.

To be sure you need:

* markings from crownwheel (to confirm ratio)

* pic of the diff centre to confirm LSD-ness

* count of the output shaft splines

30 minutes ago, Duncan said:

you just can't guess mate, there were too many versions of r200 diffs and they are not interchangeable. Plus someone has been inside it.

To be sure you need:

* markings from crownwheel (to confirm ratio)

* pic of the diff centre to confirm LSD-ness

* count of the output shaft splines

Yes, not going with the original seller anymore that i mentioned in the first post. 

So what im now after is info on which cars came with non-abs, 5 bolt, 4.11 LSD Diffs from the factory. If anyone has one of these, please pm me. Would prefer to buy from someone reputable on here rather than gumtree.

Well you can eliminate all the GTRs because they are 6 x 1. On the other hand all GTRs have a proper LSD so maybe you should consider changing your axles to 6 x 1. And it doesn't matter if they have ABS rings - you don't have to use them.

25 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Well you can eliminate all the GTRs because they are 6 x 1. On the other hand all GTRs have a proper LSD so maybe you should consider changing your axles to 6 x 1. And it doesn't matter if they have ABS rings - you don't have to use them.

Was only under the assumption that 5 bolt was stronger than than the 3x2 version so im totally open to a gtr diff as adapters have not been machined for my shafts. 

I've been posting in the classified for a fair amount of time and still have had no luck finding one. 

There are NO cars with R200 mechanical LSD with 5 bolt flanges.

All 5 bolters were VLSD, therefore AIDS.

All mech diffs were GTR 6 bolt.

There is no difference in diff strength or stub axle strength between Skyline style 5 bolt diffs and Silvia style 3x2 bolt diffs.  There is really no strength difference between the 5 bolt and 3x2 bolt driveshafts either.  It's just the the CV joints on the 5 bolters are proper CV joints and on 3x2s they were only tripod style CVs, which are not as good.  But Nissan thought they were good enough to put on a LOT of cars.

The diff VLSD centre from say, and S13 turbo is the same as from say, am R32 turbo.  The 3x2 and the 5 bolt stubs swap.  The only difference is the CW&P gearing bolted into it.

The GTR 6 bolt is not the same as the 3x2 (=6) bolt on the Silvia style (and NA Skyline) diffs.  The GTR stubs are bigger, stronger, more splines. 

If you want a 5 bolt flanged mechanical diff, you are going to HAVE to buy one that has an aftermarket centre in it. You will not find an unopened Nissan diff that fits your bill.

If you transplant a GTR diff in, you have to be aware that the GTR diffs used a CV joint style input on the tailshaft side, and (I think) the larger driveshafts really need you to swap to GTR uprights too.

15 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Don't be intent on buying a factory mech LSD.  They are all a million years old.  You'd be far better off looking for a Cusco, Kaaz, Nismo etc aftermarket centre in an R32/3 housing with 5 bolt stubs.

Ok thanks.

I guess 1way would be the go since im still 4wd?

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Depends on what you want from it.  For a street diff 1-way will be fine.  For track, all the way to 2-way.

Car is only going to be used on the street or for drag racing. 

As long as it locks up both wheels from a dig, that's all i care about.