SAU Community

VQ37 AAM Competition TT RHD System

Hi, I been looking around to see if anyone in Australia has fitted the AAM Competition Twin Turbo kit on their V/G37 or 370Z?

I have a shop atm currently fitting it to my 370Z, should be ready in a few more weeks I think. Please look at my build list:

AAM Competition TT RHD system
AAM Competition R-Line (oil-to-water) cooling system
AAM Competition 4 Bar MAP sensor
Fast Intentions 3" TT TDX Cat Back Exhaust System
Fast Intentions Billet Aluminium Flex Plate 7AT
OEM GTR Spark Plugs
CJM S1.E Fuel System
ID 1050x
DW Fuel Pump relay wiring kit
Aeromotive Stealth 340 lph Fuel pump
PWR transmission Cooler
Upgraded TQ Converter
Quaife ATB LSD
Whiteline Diff bushing kit
Z1 Urethane Motor Mounts
Z1 Urethane Transmission Mounts
Z1 Subframe Bushing Collar
Z1 Premium SS Brake Line kit
Eibach Sway Bar kit

I want to know if others have had the AAM Competition TT kit fitted on the VQ37. I know their have been plenty of Stillen SC kits and GTM/Gamma TT kits fitted across Australia to the VQ37, but would be really interested to know if anyone has fitted the AAM kit. I could be the first? Want to know what issues they came across if any, and what power they made.

I am planning on a Ecutek tune on e85. 

On 28/01/2018 at 2:46 PM, KiwiRS4T said:

Wow how much is this kit and how much power do they claim? How long will your auto last? Shouldn't you be looking for an aftermarket ECU?

Just the TT kit alone, not the other mods listed cost $10K USD, plus shipping and import/gst fees ontop.

The kit is rated for 400hp per turbo, so 800hp in total. Obviously I will not run it anywhere near that level of power on a stock motor. The guys in America are hitting 677whp on 93oct with this kit on a stock motor, and they have lasted years of abuse so far. As a mater of fact, the very first 10.91 second 370Z in america was running the FI TT kit (similar to this AAM TT kit) on a stock motor and an Auto trans, that was back in 2012 and to this day that car is still running strong and racing in events. The key, is the tune!

I am only looking for ~340rwkw with an Ecutek tune and e85. Should be easily possible with this kit, so I do not need an aftermarket ECU.

As for the trans I am not exactly sure how long it will last. These trans can handle upto about 550nm torque, anything more than that and I would be getting a bit worried. It is the same 7sp auto trans that they use in the Nissan Patrols and Infiniti Q50/Q60 400hp Red sports models. I will have to get the tuner to adjust the line pressure to prolong the trans life, and or adjust torque tables, aswell as proper cooling. With all that hopefully it will last, if not I will cross that bridge when I get there lol :)

On 28/01/2018 at 2:53 PM, Ben C34 said:

4 Bar map sensor!

How much boost you plan to run?

it does seem extremely odd to upgrade the flexplate and leave the actual trans stock ......

I am only planning to run under 10psi. These engines respond really well to boost, but they don't really like going over 13psi with out a built bottom end. Reason I got the 4 BAR map sensor was because I am planning to convert to speed density tuning, and I am not sure if the stock MAP sensor is adequate and accurate, and AAM only offered this 4 BAR Map sensor to me so I took it.

Reason for upgrading the flex plate and not the trans, is because back around 2011/12 there was a guy in Australia who had a 430whp TT 370Z with a stock trans and his flex plate kept cracking until he used a billet flex plate that was custom made by a mining company.

I really do p want to upgrade the trans but starting to run dry now on the cash front lol. So I am hoping a good trans cooler, the flex plate, and line pressure adjustment will prolong my trans until I can afford to build it. The problem is nobody in Australia upgrades these Jatco RE7R01A trans. So my option is to either swap it out for a different auto trans and adapter plate (don't really want to do this) or import the rebuild kit from the states from Level 10 or IPT, 2 companies who make upgraded auto trans and trans parts for the 370Z.

On 28/01/2018 at 4:13 PM, Leroy Peterson said:

So the exhaust is a cat back, so does the kit include the exhaust manifolds, cats and joining pieces?

The TT kit includes everything needed to drop it in and turn the key, so yes it includes the exhaust manifolds, it deletes the factory cats for straight down pipes.

The CBE will bolt up from the down pipes.

370rendering5.jpg

s648251984700179990_p318_i8_w800.jpg

TTkit2.jpg

1 hour ago, Leroy Peterson said:

$10k USD twin turbo is a lot of money and effort for 340rwkw. Surely a supercharger plus E85 is cheaper and easier?

Yes you are correct a Supercharger kit is cheaper and easier than having the turbo kit fitted.

But what lead me to the choice of the TT setup over the SC kits is the fact that boost is not created equal:

http://specialtyz.com/blog/?p=2887

In short:

-the SC setup will only reach around 300-315rwkw max, not much room to grow from there even with the modified A2A conversion done by TopGun for the 370Z SC kits. Whereas, I can always grow the turbo setup way beyond that, ofcourse after building the engine in the future.

-boost is not created equal, the SC setup will make most of its power at higher revs, where as this turbo kit I am installing has minmal lag and hits full boost at 3K-3.5K RPM, max power is seen much more early. Hence more power under the curve!

2 hours ago, shadow85 said:

Yes you are correct a Supercharger kit is cheaper and easier than having the turbo kit fitted.

But what lead me to the choice of the TT setup over the SC kits is the fact that boost is not created equal:

http://specialtyz.com/blog/?p=2887

I agree with everything in that article. However, the one pro that I would give to the supercharger setup is that it's friendlier on the stock auto. If you're going to go Level 10, then go nuts with the turbo. I had them build the auto in my old J30 Maxima back in the day when I was on nitrous and eventually turbo. Not a single issue with it and well worth the $7k I paid for it back in '98.

It's good to see you doing something different though and I'm keen to get progress updates on this project. It may well pique my interest and finally convince me to go forced induction.

56 minutes ago, The Max said:

I agree with everything in that article. However, the one pro that I would give to the supercharger setup is that it's friendlier on the stock auto. If you're going to go Level 10, then go nuts with the turbo. I had them build the auto in my old J30 Maxima back in the day when I was on nitrous and eventually turbo. Not a single issue with it and well worth the $7k I paid for it back in '98.

It's good to see you doing something different though and I'm keen to get progress updates on this project. It may well pique my interest and finally convince me to go forced induction.

Thanks, will try to keep progress updated here. 

Yes I agree also the SC setup would be less stress for my engine and trans. But I did my research on the turbo builds, and as long as the install and tune is spot on then I am good for upto 370rwkw on the stock motor, and around 550nm on the stock trans.

So you had a trans built by Level 10 and then imported here from the them? Sheez, the shipping fees must be huge? Can you remember what u paid for the shipping?

That was one of the biggest killahs for me, when I used their checkout system online for a built RE7 trans for my Z, the shipping quote alone was $3K USD. I was like screw that lol.

So my best bet is to have the Level10 rebuild kit shipped down, and then have MVA automatics in SA here install it.

Can't say I remember what the cost breakdown was 20 years ago but I do remember it costing me a total of around $7500 at the time. The guys at Level 10 declared it as a repaired transmission, with the costs attributed to labour and very little in parts. They were extremely helpful back then. I'm pretty sure the name of the guy I spoke to was Pat. Really nice folks back then.