SAU Community

Suggested turbo on a stock RB25

Die$eL

Thanks for all of the replies.

I see the Hypergear stuff is strongly suggested.

i'm looking at this: http://www.hypergearturbos.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57

ATR43 400~600HP T3x Internally gated turbocharger

Would I need to send my turbo in to Hypergear or is this a whole new turbo? (can i part-exchange my turbo? Else I got no use for it)

great. Thanks. 

Sorry for all the questions. Will it be a direct bolt-on? Would I need to change oil lines/coolant lines or anything?

It is almost direct bolt on.  You will need oil and water lines.  Tao can supply those with the turbo, or you can look at eBay....but easier for you getting them from Tao.  The dump should match Nissan pattern.  The inlet needs modification.  You can't use the skinny rubber Nissan shit.  You need to fab up a steel or alloy 4" inlet that will also accept the AFM and your BOV return, etc.

you dont need water or oil lines with the 43 and 45 atr's. it just makes it a little easier to install with them.

There is a bit of custom involved, as gts said. But nothing serious or hard. And depends how neat you want it... Get some more pipe, a 90deg bend and some random silicone joiners and you should find a nice combo.

Get BB If you want better spool. I'm all in at around 3500 with journal with the atr43g3sat.

Install process:
FYI: You need around 60mm studs, not 40mm. Also there are easier ways to do the install than shown below.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm holding off on the turbo for now. 

A buddy may be able to get me a NEO motor complete with turbos.

Would that just be a simple matter of removing the existing RB25DET and replacing it with the NEO? Is the wiring harness the same?

Luckily I wont be doing the work. Will send it to my buddy's shop but I will help so I can learn at the same time.

30 minutes ago, Die$eL said:

Would that just be a simple matter of removing the existing RB25DET and replacing it with the NEO? Is the wiring harness the same?

No, the wiring is not the same.  There are differences at various sensors.  The Neo has a boost sensor for the ECU that the vanilla 25 doesn't.  You need the R34 loom and the R34 ECU.

it will probably be easier for me to get an aftermarket ecu. 

these cars are rare in south africa. especially the r34

if i do find one however I will get it

Edited by Die$eL

ok so my buddy just called. 

He is able to get me a complete NEO motor with auto box, ecu and harness

would it then just be a matter of me replacing my engine, ecu and harness (not gearbox).

Is the ecu for the automatic cars "linked" to the gearbox in any way? Or would it just be a matter or fitting a resistor for the shift solenoid?

The R34 TCU is in the ECU.  And that's fine, because it doesn't matter - it will run a manual trans engine happily.  You're going manual right?  Because if you're not, punch yourself in the face and start again.

If you use the R34 ECU you WILL want to get Nistune installed in it, because you will want to kill the error codes caused by not having the right ABS and TCS systems installed in the car. And you WILL want to tune it.  All of which, happily, Nistune enables for you.

Assuming you go Nistune with the R34 auto ECU, which is the smartest option for what you want,  You can turn all the auto specific flags, so the ECU no longer looks for it, therefor you won't see any CEL codes.