SAU Community

Paint removal

oweban

I’ve recently picked up a 33 GTR front bar as part of the ongoing collection of parts for the GTST>GTR conversion I’m stupidly doing - but I want to get the lip back to raw plastic, no paint, without damaging the plastic underneath.

There’s a few things I’ve seen around - Aircraft Paint Remover (US only it seems), some graffiti remover (So Safe yellow label), but I’m not sure if there’s a better way to be doing this. Some of the paint is already spiderwebbed from impact I believe, so hopefully that helps?

Open to suggestions. I know I could just paint it black, but it wouldn’t be the same.

IMG_7571.jpg

I did the same on an R32 GTR front lip, used the paint stripper in a big spray can from Repco and a long handled dish scrubbing brush to agitate it then use a pressure washer to rinse it all off. Took maybe 3-4 goes until it was all off, but there was a couple of layers of paint on there.

The plastic didn't seem to mind, just make sure you wash it well and remember to wear gloves and a mask of some sorts.

Many years ago when i use to paint cars we would just use normal paint stripper.

The trick is to give a quick scratch up with some 80 or 120 grit, dont use any force as you only want to scratch the surface.

After this apply it with a brush in a lighter coat, dont pool it on excessively and done like there were never any issues.

Only time we used a different stripper was for some rubber moulds that were painted but it was stupidly expensive and didnt work great.