SAU Community

Another coilover debate

I just put a set of R-SR front springs in my Nm35. After taking the old springs off the struts, I pushed down on the struts and was able to push them down every easily.

Not good huh. I put it all back on with the new springs. Pushed down on the front of the car and it sprung back at me like an expectant puppy.

How much for a new set of struts and what type, I see people talking about Bilsteins on this thread that's why I'm asking.

The very nicest non-coilover struts that you can choose to put in are Bilstein.  We usually use B6s, as being the best price/performance point, but B8s are a significant step up in niceness, if you can afford them.  These all work well with normal Kings/Tein/other good aftermarket stiffer springs in the stock format.

You can actually have them modified by adding adjustable spring perches to turn them into height adjustable coilovers that take normal coilover springs.  It's just more $$.

I got SydneyKid to build me a set of his Bilsteins......around 4 years ago now.  He was reluctantly still doing them for SAUers back then.  No idea if he still does now.  He puts a custom revalve into them that makes them even better than they are off the shelf (for Skylines).  He was doing similar for Stageas, but I have no idea if he did anything for newer Stageas.  Cost me ~$1400 for 4 modded dampers + new bump stops.  Vanilla B6s should be buyable for same-ish money, but I haven't looked.

I added new springs to my setup and ended up spending more than I would have for bottom end coilovers but somewhat less than I would have for upper end MCAs.  Seemed a good compromise at the time.

• Like 1